thermal paste om pIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cellbuster

In Runtime
i have an old dell L and it uses a pentium3 processor. i noticed that some one scraped the thermal paste off it. (dont ask, i think i know who it is anyways) i just need to transefer some info from my floppy to a flash drive. it will be like 10 mins and wont take any heavy apps. will this be bad for my computer? will it not be able to run?

it would be best to re apply some sort of thermal compound.

My motto: You only get one chance to do it right the first time.

:)

In my business, one chance is ALL you get! ;)

Cellbuster said:
Well is there some around the house things i could use?

Yes, put some ice in the tub and toss that b!tch in....that should do the trick....

JUST KIDDING! DO NOT ATTEMPT!

If you dont want to go get some thermal paste, here's what i would do.

1. Put the heatsink back on with what ever paste/pad is still there. This should provide enough cooling capacity to get your files.
2. Fire up the computer and let it POST and so forth.
3. Check temps if you have that kind of software installed and already running. If not, don't waste your time.
4. Get your stuff that you need.
5. Shut it down....Quickly
I know this is true about newer chips, it MAY NOT BE TRUE for P3s.
they have a built in "temp sensor". If that "sensor" gets too hot, it shuts down the processor and hopefully prevents any damage.

I would like to add that the purpose of the thermal paste is to fill the tiny (even microscopic) grooves/holes in the heat sink. the thermal material conducts the heat away from the processor. (Air is a very good insulator, by the way) Since the circuits inside the processor are so small, one little hot spot has the potential to end the processor's life...

This is my opinion

i dont have any compound on my p3 slot 1 and it runs at 30 C you will be fine.
prolly because i have an 80 mm fan straped to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom