thermal paste? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 02:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default thermal paste?

Hey, i just got a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, ive read that sometimes these things come with heat paste or something of the likes. What does it exactly come with if anyone knows and is there anything else extra i need to buy to keep it running cool? also does this baby come with a heatsink, on the tigerdirect site it says fan included but does that include a heatsink?

Old 08-24-2006, 02:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jayce

My 3000+ had some chalky stuff on the heat sink which came with my AMD processor, so I assume yours is included too. If not run out to Staples and spend 5 or 6 bucks on a heat sink.

From what I understand the chalky substance on the center of the heat sink was a preloaded thermal paste that would turn liquidy when it was heated up from the CPU, then turn into the regular paste. I still put some thermal paste on... just a little drop, about the size of a rice grain, locked on the heat sink, ate dinner, came back booted it up, bam!

Old 08-24-2006, 03:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
dcc
True Techie

If it comes with a fan it should be attached to a heat sink.

The CPU should come with a small tube of thermal compound, before applying it, clean the mating surfaces with alcohol and wipe them dry.

As Jayce has indicated, you don't need very much, you just want enough to fill any inconsistanceies in the two surfaces to help transfer the heat.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

awesome, thanks guys.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

by alcohol, do you mean.. jim beam? or do you mean.. metholated spirits?

Also, I've read about all these cleaners for getting it off.. but it doesnt say any actual products just things like xyline based cleaners.. Can you state any products good for cleaning off thermal paste? (once again, metholated spirits good?)..

When cleaning is the best way to use a q-tip? also what about cleaning off the cpu?

When applying thermal paste, should I just leave the dab on the heatsink and put it on the cpu? or should I smudge it round? (I noticed on the Artic Silver site that a hand use a blastic bag to rub the AS around on the cpu)