Are there any dual channel socket 754 motherboards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
I'm getting a used skt754 cpu for pretty cheap and was told that some motherboards do support dual channel. I've only been able to find one though so wonder if its just a typo or something.

Here it is Epox 8NPA

On another website it only said it was single channel. So do they make dual channel skt754 or is the memory controller on the cpu preventing that?

Plus what would be a good skt 754 mobo with pci-e?

no. Socket 754 platform only has single channel memory capabilities. The memory controller is in the CPU. It has *almost* nothing to do with the motherboard.

Ryan

Amd wanted people to buy 940 over 754 and 939 wasn't out yet.

Anyways any suggestions on boards?

dario03 said:
Amd wanted people to buy 940 over 754 and 939 wasn't out yet.

Anyways any suggestions on boards?

Really? That sounds weird why would AMD want people to buy server boards instead of regular pc boards? There aren't much server boards anyways.

nitestick said:
that is not true. its just a flaw with the memory controller. why in helI would AMD want the general public to buy server boards that would not function as the public would need them to, they would be cutting their own throats.

exactly what I'm saying. Sounds like someone was just bsing. Cough..dario...Cough.:)

Brtnboarder495 said:
The motherboard's chipset determines whether or not memory can be utilized in dual channel.

not necessarily. For the socket 754 cpu's. They dont support dual channel. Even if the chipset says it does i don't think it will. How can it? The memory controller tell what kind of memory to use and it doesn't support dual channel. The chipset is made according to the cpu. So if the chipset is made for socket 754 cpu's then they will put the same kind of ram as the cpu is capable of.

Brtnboarder495 said:
The motherboard's chipset determines whether or not memory can be utilized in dual channel.

That's not true for Athlon 64 based system. Athlon 64 cpu's contain the memory controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom