Tentative system for my mother... Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhodun

Beta member
Hey all!

So I'm quite the tech savvy college student who built my family computer five years ago. Back home for summer vacation now and it's time for a new system for my parents to still use. Here is my plan. I haven't planned a rig since that first one (which worked out splendidly) and I've spent some time going over the specs, etc. I would appreciate any suggestions or criticisms.

This system will be used only for email, web browsing, taxes, light photo stuff. I went with more reliable parts because I only have two weeks to have it up and running and I don't like sending my parents to the repair store. If it seems a little overpowered (I'm not really sure) it's OK. The price is right and it should last a good several years.

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3LR LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3LR LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775
Newegg.com - Intel Core2 Duo E7500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80571E7500

RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
Newegg.com - Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3N9K2/4G

PSU: hec HP585D RETAIL 585W ATX12V Power Supply
Newegg.com - hec HP585D RETAIL 585W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Cord Included

VC: EVGA 512-P3-1213-LR GeForce 210 512MB 64-bit DDR2
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-1213-LR GeForce 210 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade

After rebates, about $460 since we're reusing monitor, keyboard mouse, two slick wd hard drives (in raid 1), the optical drives, and hopefully the case.

Which is where my last question comes in. Back in April the motherboard, CPU, and PSU all were fried. The repair store told my mother it was probably a power spike. Replaced all the components (and the surge protector) and things were fine. I was back home this summer browsing the web, and maybe five minutes after plugging in an external drive, the computer just died, mid sentence. Repair store confirmed the mobo and cpu were dead. The psu, interestingly worked in my other rig, but they confirmed it was spiking.

My question is, should I reuse the case? I have checked for shorts, uninsulated wires, everything. As far as I (and the tech) can tell, the psu just went bad and fried everything. Two motherboards in four or five months seems like a lot to me, and I was wondering if I should be concerned. It's a beautiful case (Newegg.com - APEVIA X-Alien ATXA1AW-BK/420 Black Steel Server Computer Case 420W Power Supply) and the only problem I've had with it in five years is that now it doesn't support microATX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom