tell me what to build (wise ones)

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow all. Lately this place is turning into a drama show. Forums are to bring knowledge and experiences from all over to better us all. Can't we just get along and have differences without fighting over them?
I can't speak on any of the Win7 vs. Vista except for the fact that Vista IMO sucked and Microsoft knew it, thats why XP support was extended and why WIN7 came out so quick after the Vista release.

I came through 3.1, 95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista, and now 7. Each step has been better than the last, and that includes the one from Vista to 7.

There's not a world of difference between the two. 7 came from Vista and was what Vista should have been. And, no, I am not a MS engineer... but I am a power user who runs the crap out of an OS. Vista was good, but 7 performs better, faster.

Besides, why would anyone opt to take a step backwards?

I got a good rofl out of this thread :p now lets make sure this stays civil guys

ET/IT, couple of questions for you

1. What were you talking about when you posted this:

2. Why would you recommend buying Vista over 7? 7 IS a more optimised release and is ALSO the latest and most supported release.

Windows 7: Oct 22 2009
Windows Vista: Jan 30 2007
So more like roughly 2.5 or 3 years mate

Tech-forums is a great place to learn, if you're unsure of something don't just type it out anyway. You could be giving out bad advice without knowing! Just say so if you're unsure of something and there will be plenty of people here willing to fill in any little gaps in your knowledge ;)

Regarding 7 vs VISTA, cost. You can by VISTA ultimate for about $200 roughly at a Best Buy. vs $650 for 7 Ultimate. When windows 8 is literally around the cornor. If not a Linux OS, may as well wait for 8 to come out so not to invest money. And 750 MB of Graphics memory. You can buy video cards with Graphics memory in excess of 2GB. Although a 750MB video card will prove more expensive, typical games out now awadays recommend 550MB Graphics Cards (Video Cards) or better. Going 750MB or greater, would put you ahead in video game designing, and figured if he's doing multimedia stuff, it would allow him to go full force on his detailed creations. Still learning video card lingo, but there are graphics cards with in excess of 336 unified shaders, which are compatible with DirectX 11 with Shader 6.5.

I came through 3.1, 95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista, and now 7. Each step has been better than the last, and that includes the one from Vista to 7.

There's not a world of difference between the two. 7 came from Vista and was what Vista should have been. And, no, I am not a MS engineer... but I am a power user who runs the crap out of an OS. Vista was good, but 7 performs better, faster.

Besides, why would anyone opt to take a step backwards?

You just summed up what I've said repeatedly. Only reason why you'd take a step backwards, is because the next step up (Windows 8) is around the corner. Why spend roughly $650+ on an OS, only to spend another $799 in roughly a year, to a year and a half? As I even said previously, the whole issue is cost.

And also, Windows 7 is a step ahead of VISTA, but why not wait until it's a leap?

ET/IT said:
And also, Windows 7 is a step ahead of VISTA, but why not wait until it's a leap?
Because you would be waiting forever. MS will hopefully put out another good OS, but it won't be any super-duper OMG. It will be an update/upgrade from 7.

Besides, who would pay $500+ for ANY OS? Win7 Home Premium is $100 @ NewEgg and most college students can get it for much less.

Source Check!
Windows 7 Ultimate
Windows 7 Ultimate - Windows $319.99 @ Best Buy

I highly doubt this magical Windows 8 that's right around the corner will cost $799

Because you would be waiting forever. MS will hopefully put out another good OS, but it won't be any super-duper OMG. It will be an update/upgrade from 7.

Besides, who would pay $500+ for ANY OS? Win7 Home Premium is $100 @ NewEgg and most college students can get it for much less.
I Agree Trotter, The chances are likely that Windows 8 might be simply an upgraded 7 and cheaper to buy in upgrade form. Just like Vista to 7.

and no OS has ever been as much as he's stating (unless i missed something) he's just yelling out numbers at this point.

They downgraded the price last time I checked.

Interesting.

Last time I was in a Best Buy store it was going for $500 for Ultimate Edition. (brother paid $350 for his when he bought his version for discount)

Like here:

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (Full Version) | Staples®

Where everything is put together into a single OS. (all version combined plus additional features)

They downgraded the price last time I checked.

Interesting.

Last time I was in a Best Buy store it was going for $500 for Ultimate Edition. (brother paid $350 for his when he bought his version for discount)

Like here:

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (Full Version) | Staples®

Where everything is put together into a single OS. (all version combined plus additional features)

Not quite sure why someone would waste over $100 for a washout version of an OS.

Just got it confirmed. Online, bestbuy.com does NOT list Windows 7 Ultimate.

You can only get it in-store. Price in-store, is $345.99 down from $418.95.

I'm surprised many in this forum haven't heard of Ultimate Edition... (All versions of the OS together in one full package as a single OS,) .

Windows VISTA Ultimate, goes for $150.

Also, Ultimate Edition of Windows VISTA, has all of the features Windows 7 Home, and some features you'll find in Windows 7 Professional.

Windows 7 Ultimate, has features you wont find in either Windows VISTA Ultimate, nor 7 Home/Professional. But it has every feature you can get in both Home/Professional.

When I speak of Windows OSs, I'm always referring to the Ultimate Editions. Which is where the price lists are for, which have nothing to do with home premium, nor Professional versions.

Regarding 7 vs VISTA, cost. You can by <b><u>VISTA ultimate</u> for about $200 roughly at a Best Buy. vs $650 for<u> 7 Ultimate </u>.</b> When windows 8 is literally around the cornor. If not a Linux OS, may as well wait for 8 to come out so not to invest money. And 750 MB of Graphics memory. You can buy video cards with Graphics memory in excess of 2GB. Although a 750MB video card will prove more expensive, typical games out now awadays recommend 550MB Graphics Cards (Video Cards) or better. Going 750MB or greater, would put you ahead in video game designing, and figured if he's doing multimedia stuff, it would allow him to go full force on his detailed creations. Still learning video card lingo, but there are graphics cards with in excess of 336 unified shaders, which are compatible with DirectX 11 with Shader 6.5.

Read the bold/underlined.

I was never at anytime refering to Home, nor Professional Editions. (which are a complete waste of money as they are, which is why I was speaking about Ultimate Editions of the software, where you get ALL the features of both home, and professional, and even MORE features not present in either one of them)

I will say I did post ultimate edition from best buy just like he said and the price did not go from $500-600 to $320. It never did.

You originally posted Windows 7 Home and Professional editions prior to editing your post.

Originally, back in June, it ran for $500.

Last December, it ran for $699.

I still have Christmas ads from Best Buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom