System Upgrades - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2015, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default System Upgrades

Evening folks,

Looking to make some additions to my system but I'm completely clueless! I'll put the parts I currently have below and hopefully someone could give me some insight into what to do with them. Thanks

Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING (ms-7693) - Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design
CPU: AMD FX-8320 8 Core 3.50Ghz - Item
Memory: 16GB G.SKILL RJX + 8GB Generic RAM (24GB Total)
GFX: MSI R9 270 GAMING 2GB - Graphics card - The world leader in display performance
Operation System: Windows 8.1 (Legit copy)

Shigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: System Upgrades

Just upgrading that system I would get a SSD for the operating system and depending on how much you game move up to a better video card, What brand and wattage power supply do you have out of curiosity, if your running the R9 270 you should have ample power, AMD video cards are known to be a tad power hungry.

Antec 200 - I7-920 - ASUS P6T - Corsair TX650 it's old but still kicking like a mule
2-EVGA GTX 470 in SLI- ocz vertex 3 SSD 128 gig
Seagate Barracuda 1-TB - OCZ DDR3-1600 12 gigs 3x2
Keeps Me Happy :lol:

If I've been helpful, Please rep me
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru

Are you still only playing FF14 from this thread? Will also need to know your budget this time around.

Which to upgrade to?

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
Just upgrading that system I would get a SSD for the operating system and depending on how much you game move up to a better video card, What brand and wattage power supply do you have out of curiosity, if your running the R9 270 you should have ample power, AMD video cards are known to be a tad power hungry.
Oh forgot to mention my SSD, have a 120GB one, not using it for my OS atm though, install FPS games to it. And for the Power Supply, I'm not sure will take the case off tomorrow morning and check, but I know its a generic Novatech one.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2015, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Are you still only playing FF14 from this thread? Will also need to know your budget this time around.

Which to upgrade to?
Nah, not playing FF14 anymore, I play Rust, CS:GO and will be buying Fallout 4 in a couple of days, and probably get BO3 at some point. Budget wise, upto £300 probably best

Thanks
Old 11-13-2015, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

Well that'll probably be best to use on a new GPU, although you have it all backwards with your storage setup. OS needs to be on SSD.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Well that'll probably be best to use on a new GPU, although you have it all backwards with your storage setup. OS needs to be on SSD.
Ahh right, I've been told mixed things regarding the SSD thing, is my current CPU alright in terms of matching my RAM in power etc?

Thanks
Old 11-13-2015, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru

There shouldn't be mixed things at all involving the SSD. You get the best performance increase from putting your OS on an SSD.

Your CPU is fine for now.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
Sorry for the late reply, I have a Novatech 750W 80+Bronze.

Was thinking about getting MSI R9 380 AMD 4GB £178.98 inc. vat. Then noticed that 8GB MSI R9 390 AMD was only £90 more, but not sure if it seems a little overkill for what I play. Or any GPU suggestion would be great, thanks!
Old 11-17-2015, 04:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
There shouldn't be mixed things at all involving the SSD. You get the best performance increase from putting your OS on an SSD.

Your CPU is fine for now.
Ahhaha alright cheers, will reformat soon in that case! Thanks for the tip