System Upgrade Pending

bpm55

In Runtime
I am looking to upgrade my current system and looking for recommendations:

Desire is to do some light video editing and gaming.

Current system:
CPU: i7-3700k
Board: Asrock Z77 Extreme4
Ram: 16gb DDR3
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb (not upgrading)
SSDs: 2 - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 1 - Samsung 840 120GB
HDD: Multiples 2tb and 1 tb
Cooler: Corsair H100i
Case: Corsair 400R
PSU: Seasonic 750w

What I am thinking of upgrading :
CPU, Board, RAM
CPU - Intel or AMD? Looking for the best bang for the buck. I do not need an unlocked CPU I have never really overclocked my current one and doubt I will do it later.
Board - I like AsRock boards, but am open for suggestions
RAM - DDR4 16gb to start unless I find a good deal on 32gb
OS - Can I transfer my OS to the new board? Will I need a new key?

What I run for video editing is davinci resolve. I am just starting with video and don't know where it may go in the future, but I know more cores/threads is usesful.
Gaming - GTA V online, PUBG, and some older games

Budget is relatively open. Not looking to go crazy just better performance.

I am looking to upgrade my current system and looking for recommendations:

Desire is to do some light video editing and gaming.

Current system:
CPU: i7-3700k
Board: Asrock Z77 Extreme4
Ram: 16gb DDR3
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb (not upgrading)
SSDs: 2 - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 1 - Samsung 840 120GB
HDD: Multiples 2tb and 1 tb
Cooler: Corsair H100i
Case: Corsair 400R
PSU: Seasonic 750w

What I am thinking of upgrading :
CPU, Board, RAM
CPU - Intel or AMD? Looking for the best bang for the buck. I do not need an unlocked CPU I have never really overclocked my current one and doubt I will do it later.
Board - I like AsRock boards, but am open for suggestions
RAM - DDR4 16gb to start unless I find a good deal on 32gb
OS - Can I transfer my OS to the new board? Will I need a new key?

What I run for video editing is davinci resolve. I am just starting with video and don't know where it may go in the future, but I know more cores/threads is usesful.
Gaming - GTA V online, PUBG, and some older games

Budget is relatively open. Not looking to go crazy just better performance.
You have ghastly and strange jokes.:D

@PP_Mguire thanks for the advice. If I wait would it make sense to spec anything else now and then just monitor RAM prices and buy everything at that time?

@kalju not sure the jokes except maybe budget/performace, but I guess it was funny.

@PP_Mguire thanks for the advice. If I wait would it make sense to spec anything else now and then just monitor RAM prices and buy everything at that time?

@kalju not sure the jokes except maybe budget/performace, but I guess it was funny.
Dude who knows, it's kinda like the GPU situation. Luckily you already have one you want to keep. So honestly that's something I can't really help on or say what to do because there's no telling how long this RAM price fixing will be allowed.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3647568

This combo is similar to a parts list I was looking at recently.

Would it make more sense to go AMD Ryzen for more threads for Video work? or go i7-8700?

If go AMD could I switch to a threadripper cpu later?

I know the RAM pricing is high, but it isn't exactly out of reach to just buy personally. I am lucky to have a good job and solid income.

Last edited:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3647568

This combo is similar to a parts list I was looking at recently.

Would it make more sense to go AMD Ryzen for more threads for Video work? or go i7-8700?

If go AMD could I switch to a threadripper cpu later?

I know the RAM pricing is high, but it isn't exactly out of reach to just buy personally. I am lucky to have a good job and solid income.
I'm not going to try and tell you how to spend your money, but vote with your wallet on RAM pricing man. 224 for 16GB which I paid 164 for 32GB of Corsair in 2016. My same kit is now 409 bucks. That's completely bonkers. We haven't paid over 200 bucks for 16GB kits since like 2010.

Either platform will do fine. Since you're not running Premiere or Vegas I can't really advise on CPU performance for rendering since I've never used anything other than those two before. I do know that those two don't scale well beyond a certain amount of threads like 12. So take that for what you will.

If you go Ryzen with AM4 you will not be able to move to Threadripper later, it's a different socket. If you want more threads later you'll need to hop on X299 or Threadripper now. If money isn't so much of an object I personally would go with the 8700k. That's just me. Simply because of the plop it in and it's already 4GHz aspect.

So, I spoke with a friend and he strongly suggested I switch to Premier for video editing. Main reason is he is pretty strong in Premier and I can use him to learn.

If going with Premier does it make more sense to jump to the X299 platform? Or stick with the i7-8700k?

My plan is to buy 16gb of RAM(2x8gb) when I buy the mortherboard and CPU. Then later upgrade when hopefully the price drops again.

@PP Mguire thanks for the help so far. Budget wise I would like to stay south of $1000, but could stretch a little.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VGx4HN

Current parts list linked.

Last edited:
If you would be moving to Premiere then yea the 8700k would be fine. Take note Premiere does use Cuda for timeline scrubbing (make sure IGP is disabled so the Nvidia GPU is fully used) and a bit for the rendering. I edit 4k content perfectly fine on both my 7700k and the 5930k in my X99 rig. The more effects and such that you use, the more load is offloaded to the GPU when rendering in real time (aka timeline scrubbing and playback pre-render). Depending on the bitrate, resolution, and length of video you will be working with 16GB might be a slight setback. I've maxed out the 16GB in my X99 rig a few times and needed to move my project to my gaming PC simply for more RAM. Since you said light video editing and gaming, coupled with the 1060 I'm guessing 1080p no more than 50Mb. If so, the above would do perfectly fine and I think you'd be pretty happy.

To the spec list, I'm sure the Pro4 would be perfectly fine but I'm currently running the Extreme4 for SLI. If personal experience matters here, I absolutely love my Extreme4. I do have an H270 Pro4 in my NAS and it has worked perfectly for me too. It only has a Pentium in it though.

On the flip side (and I don't mean to change gears here) if you don't mind some overclocking something like a Ryzen 1700 would do amazing too. I have experience with the 1600s and they're pretty damn nice chips for gaming (yes even 1080p gaming *cough* the reviewers over exaggerate *cough*). I have NOT tried to edit video on a Ryzen setup though. I can't speak from experience but Jayz2c said his 1800x handled his workflow just fine. He was overclocked though.

Yeah. My personal video work will be light at least on my machine. I have access to a more powerful machine though for heavier work. I do part time work for a video company that my buddy owns. His machine is heavy duty 64gb RAM, Titan X, and one of the 8-core CPU. So, if I start doing more then I can use his during the downtime of his use.

So, I am probably going to go with the 8700K and 16gb then add another 16gb later.

I was looking at the X299 stuff. Would it make more sense to go this route? My camera is a Panasonic GH4 and at some point I do plan on shooting and producing 4k videos.
Maybe something like this bundle

Back
Top Bottom