System Transfer

Just for reference the last time I tried to do that on another machine Steam wanted me to redownload all the games even though they were already there. Simply booting into the SSD install of Windows then clicking on the Steam.exe on the 2TB should work perfectly fine. Simply make a shortcut of Steam on the desktop or taskbar for easy access.

This does seem to work, however I simply went to install something and navigated the install explorer to the steam directory on the other drive and it then automatically discovered all the games and marked them as installed.

Windows file systems can do that from time to time. Uninstall steam and reinstall to the drive you'd like to keep it on to run from. I do not personally have SSD installed, but I run my installation of steam from the same drive the games are on.

I'd like to clarify that my issue is no longer steam but just simply accessing the SSD from the HDD boot. For some inexplicable reason it freezes windows explorer and anything else that tries to access the SSD drive in any way, either read or write. I've never had this issue before back when I had two HDDs instead of an HDD and SSD, so I don't know what it is; not much has been installed on the SSD aside from some essentials (and steam :p)

RESTATEMENT: The steam issue has been fixed.

I guess in the year of updates since I last tried it they have fixed it. Good deal. Idk I have a separate SSD for Steam and Origin so I've literally never installed any of those games since I put them on a separate drive. I tried it last year on my gfs PC.

Just for reference the last time I tried to do that on another machine Steam wanted me to redownload all the games even though they were already there.

You have to make sure you transfer the IDX XML files as well. With those + the actual game folder, it'll work. I've done it several times, including moving games to another drive.

Thanks for all your help guys, it seems like the issue I had with everything freezing up was a fluke, because I tried it again later and it was fine this time. I'm going to try to reinstall some software if it can't run off the other drive, but really, thanks for all your help in getting me up to speed. :)

Back
Top Bottom