switching from the red team to the green team - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default switching from the red team to the green team

Whats up guys,

i just sold my crossfire 6950 setup, for $350 and bought a EVGA Superclocked, Signature 2 GTX 680 for $350 off craigslist. i havent gotten the card yet, i get it on monday. But i am very excited.

The reason i did this is because i was having a very difficult time with Crossfire, it wouldnt work in a lot of games, the drivers kept crashing, games kept freezing, a lot of new games dont support crossfire right away... i figured whats the point of having these 2 cards in my case if i can only use one.
I did a lot of reading reviews and benchmarks and it looks like the 680 is going to out perform my Crossfire setup by about 5%-10%. But again thats not why im doing this, im not looking to get more performance, im looking for more stability.
Also, when i built this computer, my first goal was to make it as quiet as possible, due to the spacing of the pci express slots on my mother board, the bottom card suffocates the top card and its super loud. so this single card is going to be WAY quieter than me current setup. im very excited.

ill update when i get the card, i took some benchmarks to compare the 2 setups. sound and performance...

16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Sean W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
I don't overclock

Default Re: switching from the red team to the green team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
Whats up guys,

i just sold my crossfire 6950 setup, for $350 and bought a EVGA Superclocked, Signature 2 GTX 680 for $350 off craigslist. i havent gotten the card yet, i get it on monday. But i am very excited.

The reason i did this is because i was having a very difficult time with Crossfire, it wouldnt work in a lot of games, the drivers kept crashing, games kept freezing, a lot of new games dont support crossfire right away... i figured whats the point of having these 2 cards in my case if i can only use one.
I did a lot of reading reviews and benchmarks and it looks like the 680 is going to out perform my Crossfire setup by about 5%-10%. But again thats not why im doing this, im not looking to get more performance, im looking for more stability.
Also, when i built this computer, my first goal was to make it as quiet as possible, due to the spacing of the pci express slots on my mother board, the bottom card suffocates the top card and its super loud. so this single card is going to be WAY quieter than me current setup. im very excited.

ill update when i get the card, i took some benchmarks to compare the 2 setups. sound and performance...
gtx 680 for $350. I think you did good. especially since evga warranty transfers now.

Fat.Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

absolutely... $350 is easily the lowest price ive seen for a 680. Atleast $100 cheaper than any other price ive seen. and yea, the card im getting has over 2 years of warranty left

this is the card im getting; $470 retail

Newegg.com - EVGA Superclocked, Signature 2 02G-P4-2687-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

this is also going to be my first card with a non reference style cooler, so im excited to see how it performs...

the thing im most excited about is the adaptive Vsycn feature of the 6xx series cards!

this is also my first nvidia card... so we shall see
SLI GTX 980s
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
Old 12-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

I'm not a huge fan of the non reference coolers. Reason being is they tend to dump a lot of heat in your case which for me isn't good at all.

Still though, fantastic bargain you got there. I think you'll find that the performance will probably be more than just 5-10% in certain games due to drivers alone being so much better, and that games really do prefer single card.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
I don't overclock

these non-reference coolers are also usually more quiet than reference blower-type coolers.

Love my twin frozr card.
Fat.Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the non reference coolers. Reason being is they tend to dump a lot of heat in your case which for me isn't good at all.

Still though, fantastic bargain you got there. I think you'll find that the performance will probably be more than just 5-10% in certain games due to drivers alone being so much better, and that games really do prefer single card.
yea, i know the trade off... but my case has a ton of ventilation, i think it will be alright. if the processor temp goes up too much ill get a H70 and put the radiator on the rear fan mount on the back of the case as an intake, so the processor is cooled by fresh cool air. but i dont think there will be a problem. i get the card on monday... i havent been this excited about a graphics card since my 5870.
SLI GTX 980s
Old 12-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
yea, i know the trade off... but my case has a ton of ventilation, i think it will be alright. if the processor temp goes up too much ill get a H70 and put the radiator on the rear fan mount on the back of the case as an intake, so the processor is cooled by fresh cool air. but i dont think there will be a problem. i get the card on monday... i havent been this excited about a graphics card since my 5870.
Not the greatest of ideas. H80 is better, and you want it being exhaust blowing out mounted on the back keeping the front of the case intake. If you want it sucking cold air in for the CPU gotta mount it to the front like I did.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

all my fans are intake except the 200mm top exhaust fan. ive tried all kinds of configurations and i like that best
SLI GTX 980s
Old 12-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Build Guru

In that case you kinda have too, but if you replaced those fans you could do front intake, and top and back exhaust like it should be.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie

lol are you talking about my case, or my situation? lol i feel like you were using a pun

SLI GTX 980s