swapping hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

jofraz7

Beta member
I have two computers which both run off windows ME (OEM edtions). I wish to swap the hard drive from one to the other. Will this cause a problem. I have heard that Microsoft will not allow you to do this. Do they have the ability to detect this and can they take any action against my pc? Please advise if you can. Thanks:D

if they are the SAME, EXACT PC. I mean same specs, mobo, cpu, drivers, etc... everything then you MIGHT be able to switch. but if they are different, then no you would have to format the drive once you swapped them out due to driver issues with each computer.

Your licence detects mainly the motherboard along with other comonents to determine what comptuer it is installed on. If you change the motherboard than its considered trying to install the OS onto a new system, adn if you have a one time use licence than it might give you trouble.

My guess is that if you went ahead and swapped them, you would be ok, if you uninstalled the old drivers and installed the ones for the 'new' system. then make sure you clean your old drivers out and clean up your registry.

I could be wrong tho..

What exactly are you trying to do, (i.e. whats the reason for doing this)?

I have been having .dll errors on my main pc and I have been unable to get rid of them. My mate reckons that he had the same problems because his hard drive was corrupted. I thought I would use the hd off my second computer(I hardly use it....inferior specs) to see if this would solve the problem. I am worried that if I visit Microsoft for any updates then they would detect the changes. Can they do this and what action could they take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom