Suitable built for everyday multitasking? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 27
Default Suitable built for everyday multitasking?

Case
Corsair Carbide Series 200R Compact ATX Case CC-9011023-WW

PSU
Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

Motherboard
Gigabyte FM2 AMD A85X DDR3 1800 (Hudson D4) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS GA-F2A85X-D3H

CPU
AMD A10-5800K APU 3.8Ghz Processor AD580KWOHJBOX

Storage
Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop 3.5" Hard Drive

Memory
G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5S-2GBNT

Optical Drive
Pioneer Electronics USA 15x SATA Internal BD/DVD/CD Burner with 4 MB Buffer BDR-208DBK

Goal: I need a system capable of modern-day multitasking. What I mean by this is playing an HD video on YouTube on the background as I work with hi-res textures in Photoshop. Play Blu-ray in full HD and browse the internet at the same time and maintain low CPU/memory usage. I already do this on a Sempron built with 2gb memory and my memory usually rests at 50% while the CPU is up at 90% so I know I'll be okay with only 2gb of ram. And that's also the reason I'm not going out all with the parts. I'm not going to do gaming...just simple everyday multitasking. And at $450 I'm sure I'm doing better than retail systems.

I need something that won't require an upgrade anytime soon. A standard for today's needs. And I know I don't need more than 2gb of ram or a powerful graphics card when I won't make use of them to add the extra expense so please no comment on that.
__________________

ocmdiaz714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,311
Default Re: Suitable built for everyday multitasking?

Few problems here. The first being, you selected a high end APU with a "gaming" IGP which will take a good amount of RAM leaving only about 1.5GB for the system to use while in Windows. The second being, that motherboard and CPU doesn't use DDR2. It needs DDR3 1333 at a minimum.

Why exactly are you so dead set on 2GB of RAM? If you work with high res textures you should get as much RAM as your budget allows. I'm guessing you're still using XP with this mindset? If you are using a Sempron then you could easily rework your rig for the same amount of power while decreasing the IGP power and have an 8GB system.
__________________

__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 27
Default Re: Suitable built for everyday multitasking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Few problems here. The first being, you selected a high end APU with a "gaming" IGP which will take a good amount of RAM leaving only about 1.5GB for the system to use while in Windows. The second being, that motherboard and CPU doesn't use DDR2. It needs DDR3 1333 at a minimum.

Why exactly are you so dead set on 2GB of RAM? If you work with high res textures you should get as much RAM as your budget allows. I'm guessing you're still using XP with this mindset? If you are using a Sempron then you could easily rework your rig for the same amount of power while decreasing the IGP power and have an 8GB system.
Yeah I actually just found out the RAM is incompatible. I had gone with what Newegg suggested. Anyways I made my mind up on a new set of RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

Does it sound like a decent setup?
ocmdiaz714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,311
Default Re: Suitable built for everyday multitasking?

Yes, but I believe you should get the best available CPU wise for that price.
Newegg.com - AMD A8-6600K Richland 3.9GHz Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop Processor - Black Edition AMD Radeon HD AD660KWOHLBOX

Richland is better than Trinity, and although you aren't gaming it does come with a better GPU/IGP.

If you don't have a 64bit OS you will need one.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 27
Default Re: Suitable built for everyday multitasking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Yes, but I believe you should get the best available CPU wise for that price.
Newegg.com - AMD A8-6600K Richland 3.9GHz Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop Processor - Black Edition AMD Radeon HD AD660KWOHLBOX

Richland is better than Trinity, and although you aren't gaming it does come with a better GPU/IGP.

If you don't have a 64bit OS you will need one.
In that case it would be best for me to go for the A10-6800K, correct?
ocmdiaz714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,311
Default Re: Suitable built for everyday multitasking?

The only difference is 200MHz clock and a slightly faster IGP. You'd be better off using the extra bit of cash on an 8GB kit of RAM.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 27
Default Re: Suitable built for everyday multitasking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
The only difference is 200MHz clock and a slightly faster IGP. You'd be better off using the extra bit of cash on an 8GB kit of RAM.
So in your opinion 6600k and 8 gigs of ram eh? Any suggestions of a ram kit?
ocmdiaz714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
steve10765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 635
Default Re: Suitable built for everyday multitasking?

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL - Newegg.com
+ 10% off w/ promo code EMCXPXP23, ends 6/12
__________________
Intel i5 4640 - XFX R9 280
Corsair Vengeance 8GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic 620W PSU
steve10765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 27
Default Re: Suitable built for everyday multitasking?

Thanks for the help, guys. I think I'm all set.
__________________

ocmdiaz714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.