Suggestions for pre-built PCs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smlvalentine

Beta member
Cheers everyone!

I'm a college student that's gotten by with using the Computer Center PCs the past two years. I'm tired of it at this point and want to buy my own. The problem is that, while I'm fine with using everything on a computer, I don't know what kind of hardware it'll take to get the performance I'm really interested in.

I'm looking for a desktop PC that will fill these functions:
-Plenty of storage
-Good processor
-Efficient online (both loading pages and downloading files)
-CD/DVD burning
-A non-energy eating monitor
-Capable of running console emulation smoothly (Hey, I don't need the graphics to run WoW, but I'd like to do something between papers)

And then there's software. Sigh.

What do you guys suggest for these kinds of specs? From whom do I trust to buy a pre-built computer? And what's the cheapest way to get a MS Office package?

And how much do I have to spend on this? Well, think of this old Family Guy quote:

"We have the technology. We can rebuild him. But, I don't want to spend a lot of money."

*clink clank clunk clank*

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Thanks for the replies so far folks. Ultimately, I'm trying to keep the total cost of the box, monitor and accessories under 800 (and, of course, preferably even lower.)

And, out of curiosity, has anyone had any luck with OpenOffice?

most pre-built desktops come with microsoft works. This is fine if you just need to type some stuff up or make the odd spreadsheet

i know your leaning towards a prebuild, but, think for a second. a homebuild/custom build is cheaper, faster, and usually better than prebuilt, and u got stuff to get word *think limes* and stuff. most expensive part would be the os, but those ave dropped too. for school stuff, i say 2gb ram, amd 3800+ , a ati x1300pro link...nvidia equaviliant is around 200 dollars...so go ati

smlvalentine said:
And, out of curiosity, has anyone had any luck with OpenOffice?
Yeah, it works great. It reads Word documents perfectly almost all of the time. Power Point presentations work most of the time unless they are really complicated, and spreadsheets seem to work fine as well.

And most computers have Power Point VIEWER built-in that comes with Microsoft Works.

(I haven't used MS Works in so long, it's basically a slimmed-down version of Office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom