Suggestions please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yashkapoor

Solid State Member
Greetings to all the members :)

The following picture shows the current configuration of my PC.
Config.jpg

I have been using it for 6 years now.
Learnt a lot of things from it... Burnt up motherboards, cards, SMPS, conked up hard drives and all that ;)
It has undergone a lot of turbulence! [i take all the credit] :p

Now that i have been working on other faster PCs, i become too impatient with my machine. :eek:
I want to upgrade my PC, although buying a new PC would be the best option, I don't want to give away this sweety.

I request all the readers to give their valuable suggestions & advice.
Speed is the top most requirement.

PS: My computer has never give me any major trouble but for this one thing, which has been there ever since i bought the PC.
There is a glitch in the processing which keeps on repeating after a fixed time period.
Although this is not a big issue, it causes annoyance while playing audio/video files. :confused:

Thanks in advance.
Cheers!

unfortunately socket 423 is very old and very..... rare?

your best bet would be to grab a whole new setup

build it yourself and save some green

I also think that getting a new setup is the way to go.

Also what kinds of things do you do with your computer?
It will give us a better idea of what kind of parts to recommend.
Plus, do you have any specific price budget?

getting a new setup is the way to go
^^Absolutely no denying this.

But how do I get the maximum out of what is left of the present machine? :laughing:

I DON't play memory hogging games at all.

What I do is the regular stuff... Vuze, Ms Office, Net beans, Multimedia Players/Utilities, Firefox, Chrome etc. :happy:

The current scene is that the glitches have become more frequent and prominent.
So does it indicate that my processor's countdown has begun? :confused:

PS: The person who sold the PC (definitely a n00b to technology & a true business man) suggested that i buy a 1GB RAM stick & wooosh all problems will be solved. :D
He is trying to pwn me :(

Will upgrading my RAM really prove to be a solution? :rolleyes:

You will be hard pressed to find a socket 423 chip. When Intel found out that it couldn't scale past 1.9ghz very well they replaced it with 478. You cpu upgrade is limited to 100 or 200mhz at the most. That will give NO perceivable increase in performance.

You can increase the memory to 1 or 2 gigabytes, depending on the maximum memory your motherboard allows. You can also install a Video card in the AGP slot, assuming it has one.

This really wont help you out much however and I recommend you start from scratch. This machine is so old, even maxing its potential performance wont give yo umuch of a boost.

Getting more ram will only help slightly.

You can maybe improve the performance abit by doing a defrag on the C: drive, but I don't recommend it right now since your drive is pretty full. It won't be able to reorganize the files properly without the right amount of space. Also get ride of some unneeded files, so the drive is not so filled up.

Maybe you might consider a fresh install of windows if you have the time.

Also, what kind of glitch is occurring...can you give more detail into the problem.

You can increase the memory to 1 or 2 gigabytes, depending on the maximum memory your motherboard allows.
^^Guess that's the only possibility! :p

You can also install a Video card in the AGP slot, assuming it has one.
^^YES! it does. I also had a card & broke my head with it for almost 2 months. I did post in the forum asking for help.

Here ---> http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/motherboard-not-detecting-graphics-card-187359/#post1476650

The slot does not work! It F***** blew up before i could even use it :(

You can maybe improve the performance abit by doing a defrag on the C: drive, but I don't recommend it right now since your drive is pretty full. It won't be able to reorganize the files properly without the right amount of space. Also get ride of some unneeded files, so the drive is not so filled up.
^^With 100 MB being downloaded every 10 minutes, there is no way i can maintain sufficient free disk space on my drive :D
Personally, i don't find defragging to be a solution of any kind. Just another feel-good-show for n00bs by Microsoft by showing moving coloured bars & boxes on the screen & one sits & watches carefully to find a block move. It takes ages & trust me it DOESNT actually help. No Offence!

Maybe you might consider a fresh install of windows if you have the time.
^^I installed SP3 a week back & trust me it is FAR better than SP2. OS has never been an issue. It runs smooth.
[Genuine SP3 from the microsoft factory & not the developer's version :D]

Also, what kind of glitch is occurring...can you give more detail into the problem.
^^Hmmm... Suppose i am playing a song, for instance this popular number

Look at the stars,
Look how they shine for you,
And everything you do,
Yeah they were all yellow,

I came along
I wrote a song for you
And all the things you do
And it was called yellow

So then I took my turn
Oh all the things I've done
And it was all yellow

Your skin
Oh yeah your skin and bones
Turn into something beautiful
D'you know you know I love you so
You know I love you so

When i play it on my PC, it sounds like

"Look at the stars,
Look how they shine for you,
And everything you do,
Yeah they were all all all all all all yellow,

I came along
I wrote a song for you
And all the things you do
And it was called ye ye ye ye ye ye yellow

So then I took my turn
Oh all the things I've done
And it was all yellow

Your skin
Oh yeah your skin and bones
Turn into something thing thing thing thing thing beautiful
D'you know you know I love you so
You know I love you so so so so so so
"

@All Readers
Sorry for this one, but i could not think of a better explanation :eek:

What's your budget look like? I think at this point, even a pre-built system will out perform yours in every way.

Ahem!
Please stop pwning me & my computer :( :p

There is nothing like a fixed budget. The logic is simple.
I do not have sufficient money to buy a high end PC.
I have enough to do whatever i can with this one. So with the existing board, what best can i do?

Here ---> http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/motherboard-not-detecting-graphics-card-187359/#post1476650

The slot does not work! It F***** blew up before i could even use it :(

It looks like you got a GFX card that uses a pci slot. Not the AGP slot. Thus you have to set the pci option in the bios for it to work, plus you have to put it into the pci slot.

For the glitch try going into the direct x control panel and lowering the "hardware sound acceleration level"
To get there: Start menu>run>Type"dxdiag". Should be under the sound tab.

Don't know if this will help with the problem or not, but worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom