Suggestions for building a mid-range gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liv-Z

Beta member
Hi,
It's my first time building a PC, and I was hoping to get any thoughts/suggestions on the parts I'm thinking about buying:

Intel Core i5-2500K

GIGABYTE GV-R695OC-1GD Radeon HD 6950 1GB (I'm still debating between this one and the 560 ti)

Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-620 620W

ASUS P8Z68-V LGA 1155 Intel Z68

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (2x)

Antec Three Hundred

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM

Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner 24X

Is there anything I'm missing (I already have software/peripherals), or am I doing anything stupid?

Thanks for the help!

I run the 520w version of that psu and it's great! I would go for the 560 but I prefer Nvidia and their more frequent driver updates. That 6950 may be more bang for the buck tho!

Same case with free shipping, two more fans, and a $10 MIR
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

The 6950 just edges the 560 Ti in performance.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-performance-list-212331/#post1687473

The Gigabyte cooler looks like it will do the job and it has a three year warranty... but I have heard bad things about Gigabyte's return policies and procedures. I would look more toward this card as it is XFX (has a double lifetime warranty) and they are very cooperative with RMAs if need be:
Newegg.com - XFX HD695XZDDC Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

They... update quicker? Do you mean nVidia are quicker to respond to new games by updating their drivers than AMD are? (if that's what you mean then yes, you're right).

They... update quicker? Do you mean nVidia are quicker to respond to new games by updating their drivers than AMD are? (if that's what you mean then yes, you're right).

That's what I hinted to I assume bpm55 was as well.

Thanks for the help! I decided to go with a similar-priced 2GB version of the 6950 since I'll be using multiple monitors a lot of the time. Unfortunately, I need to get a replacement since both of its fans won't spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom