Suggestion for the PC upgrage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

suppafreak

In Runtime
I am about to upgrade my PC. Currently I have Asus P4P800-Deluxe with 3.2MHz HT and 2 GB of RAM. I use the system mostly for video editing. I would keep the system, but I think there is something wrong with the MB. While I am editing in Adobe Premiere Pro my entire PC locks up. It is a long story. It started locking up before I upgraded to 3.2MHz. At the time I replaced almost everything CPU, Memory, Cooling Fan nothing helped. At this point I just want to replace everything.

This is my 4th or 5th upgrade in 12 years or so and in the past it has always been Intel. However, now all the new Intel MBs only have one IDE slot. I still have couple of IDE HDs and 2 DVD-RAM burners, which I connect to the Primary and Secondary IDE connections. I guess I can get the IDE to SATA adapters, but they require additional power and I do not know how they work.

Anyway, after researching the new MB and CPU, I have decided on the following:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Dual Core Processor 939
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard
Corsair XMS 2GB PC3200 DDR DIMM Memory Kit TWINX20483200C2PT
Antec SmartPower 2.0 500 Watt ATX12V v2.0 PSU PCIE Ready Model SP500
SAPPHIRE 100119L Radeon X550 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

I think this shoud fit my needs for video editing.

So at this point I am just waiting for the AMD prices to go down. Any idea when that's going to happen?

Please let me know if the setup is OK.

P.S. What is SLI stands for and what is the difference between Slot 939 and AM2? Should both work with Vista when it comes out?

Thanks

i think processors are dropping their price in late july, and the setup is ok but i'll have to ask you that do you know how to overclock because the x2 3800 seems a better deal even after the price drop.

SLI is Scalable Link Interface. two nvidea cards that are sli capable used together to get a better graphical performance. and the biggest difference between 939 and AM@ is that AM@ support ddr2 and 939 only support ddr. and yes they both can work with vista.

Thanks

I have never overclocked the CPUs. I wanted, but that requires a lot of trial and error and that was not worth it for me. I might do the overclocking using the AI Overclock feature, which allows overclocking up to 10% w/o problems, but that is about it.

Also just found out that 7/24 is the date when AMD chips will come down in price. Both AM2 and 939, 4200+ will be about $240 and 4800+ will be about $301. So the price is affordable. The only decision I have to make is whether I would get AM2 or 939. AM2 is slightly more upgradeble in terms of RAM, but I do not know whether DDR2 is better then DDR or DDR3 in the future.

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom