Suggest: Worth The Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
Hey y'all! If you followed my server transformation, you would know what it contains.

Intel D945GCLF2 mini-itx motherboard
1GB DDR2 667Mhz
Passive cooling with 120" external fan
Controller card to accompany 2 x 640GB WD and 1.5TB WD HDDs. External power for HDDs.
(more HDDs to be added later on)
Habey mini-itx-PSU 120W

Now, this little thing isn't really lacking in any form. It's just a home file server. If I ever want to do more with it, though, I think it will be lacking quite a bit.

Also, being a temp freak, I've seen my Atom sitting @ 70C. That can be due to the fact of the case being so small and compact. This is a mini-itx case. This is the case: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite 100 RC-100-KKP3-GP Black Steel / Plastic MITX/MATX Slim Case Computer Case Flex ATX 150W, Active PFC Power Supply (without that psu)

Now, I'm looking at 1156/1155/AM3 mini-itx boards. These are better than the Atoms ever were. More SATA ports, more RAM slots, larger memory capacity, etc.

I saw the lowest 1155 they had was $125, lowest 1156 was $100, lowest AM3 Phenom was $90. So no really price difference there.

Boards are all over the place. Depends on how many SATA ports and I/O ports. Around $100, I think is the norm.

Now, does anyone know a swell low profile heatsink? I've seen some good ones around, but must have a clearance of 55mm.

Is there any case, of that size, that has a better cooling system, such as more mesh around it?

RAM, elementary. HDDs, I can carry over, can reuse my psu, too.

Would this be a good investment, or just a waste of money? As stated above, this is just a file server, but I may want to do more with it in the future.

Price really doesn't matter at this point, as this is just theoretical. Is it worth it?

Any guidance is accepted. :)

Bump de Dump

I think I might go with a SilverStone cases, but still looking.

Now, would a new mini-itx, more than the Atom, be better?

Now, does anyone know a swell low profile heatsink? I've seen some good ones around, but must have a clearance of 55mm.

what about a Zalman low profile....
the CNPS 7000, 7500, 8700, or maybe the 8000?

****, might not even be bad to go with one of the Corsair self contained water coolers... (Hydro H70) Specially if you go with that Silverstone case...

too bad this one is too big for you
Newegg.com - Scythe Big Shuriken SCBSK-1000 120mm CPU Cooler
that would look cool as **** on a miniITX (I think) and it would cool the whole thing! BUT it's 58mm...

here is the question? What's 3mm if your going to go with the Silverstone case? or it is placement of the other parts that stop it?

ATM, I have a Scythe fan blowing straight into the passive Zalman heatsinks. One fan on my HDD rack. Don't know the manufacturer, but still rather quiet, low RPM maybe. Plus the fan on my OCZ 450 PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom