Suggest a cheap computer please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haoming

Baseband Member
Helping my dad buy a PC - not gaming, just normal multitasking and stuff... I supposed I should be looking at an Intel? Budget's around $800 >_>
Don't have time to build one so what should I be looking at? A large name brand like Sony/HP or a custom PC from an online store?

Links to some would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

aww man...why you don't have time to build one? Only takes a couple of hours.

Anyway, I heard cyberpowerpc.com and ibuypower.com are pretty good. Check those out.

If he's not gaming, just buy a Compaq or some such. Good enough and cheap enough for his needs. Otherwise I'm sure you could build him something for less than $500 easily.

If he had the time to build, I could suggest him a $300-400 build, that will do.

You may just want to check some local circular ads. I find alot of decent work pc's for $400-500 in the circulars for Staples, circuit city, etc...

Does it really only take a couple hours? If so, I have that much time to spend. However, I've never built before so it might take a little longer?

A few weeks ago, I caught this article on Digg which I found quite appealing. TR's July 2007 system guide - Powered by Newegg - The Tech Report - Page 1
Is the $500~ build any good?
What about a Dell? I found a pretty good deal with their custom built Inspiron.

Also, do I need a new copy of XP or can I just transfer the one from the computer I'm going to get rid of? (It was preinstalled so no CD)

Could someone help me choose some parts if I decide to build myself? I don't need a monitor/keyboard/mouse. I'm trying to convince my dad to get some new speakers because his are incredibly old - how much are a decent set?
And do I need a new case or can I just use the standard emachine one?

I'd like to get an Intel C2D & 2GB ram? (is 1 enough for multitasking?) & a decent video card so I can use it as a secondary comp for light gaming with friends come over. Don't care about the rest.

Hoping to spend min. 600, max. 800

Thanks!

The $500 build, from that site, is pretty good for a budget system.

Try not to go for Dells...lol...they are cheap, but you also get what you paid for.

You can't transfer the Windows from one computer to another, because it is tied to the motherboard, it is installed with.

Here is a nice budget build:

Case - Cooler Master Elite 330
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane
RAM - 2 x 1GB G. Skill NQs
Graphics - EVGA 7600GT
Power supply - FSP (Fortron) 400w
Hard drive - Western Digital 160GB 8mb cache
Optical drive - Sony NEC Optiarc DVD Burner
Optional aftermarket HSF - Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 64
OS - Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit

Total is around $650.

Any chance I could go with an Intel instead? I hear it's better than AMD at multi-threaded apps.

How does your build compare to the site's? What's the major difference? And is your build missing a soundcard or is it integrated somewhere?

I'd also like a larger harddrive if possible (240/320)

Should I go with Vista or XP? I hear Vista isn't that stable or w/e yet

Thanks very much!

Yes...Intel is better for multi-tasking, but that doesn't mean AMD is bad at it. I just picked AMD, because it better suites your budget. If it was $1000 or more, I would of definitely picked Intel.

My build is pretty equal, to that of the site.

You don't need a sound card. The motherboard has already got one. A sound card is only needed if you're an audiophile, and is just really picky about sound. Besides integrated is pretty decent these days, for average users.

For the hard drive of your criteria, I would suggest:
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

The Windows decision is up to you. I just thought I put Vista in there, since it's the latest. It has been improving though. Well right now, the reason to get Vista, is if you're going to be gaming with DX10, which I assume you won't be. So XP will be just fine. Heres the link for XP:
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2B 1 Pack - OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom