strange glitch with new gaming pc..need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mills

Beta member
Hi Guys and Gals,

Firstly, I apologise if i've posted in the wrong forum (I've only ever posted in forums once or twice) . If I have please feel free to move.

Looking for a small bit of help if ye can lend a hand. I just got a new pc, up and running about 10 days now, and have a small issue i need to deal with.

Specs:
EVGA nforce 680i SLI, nforce-680i SLI, Socket-775
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz CocketLGA775, $MN
Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 2048MB Kit w/two matched
NEC DVD+/-recorder AD-5170 IDE
Fortron/Source Epsilon 600W, Blue Fan, Active PFC
Samsung Spinpoint T166 250GB SATA216MB 7200RPM
Point of View GeForce 8800GTX 768MB, GDDR3
Integrated sound (waiting on a sound card from a different source)

I got this PC built minus O/S from Komplett.ie. Installed XP Professional, motherboard drivers, latest nvidia forceware drivers and the usual spyware, antivirus etc. Everything is running pretty much ok except for one issue. I bought the PC as a gaming machine and so far have only being playing F.E.A.R. and Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (both patched).

The problem is while playing these every so often the PC beeps from the computer speakers (as opposed to system speakers) and the character on screen starts to move continuously in whatever direction I happen to be moving at the time as if I was holding down the direction button. This usually happens with maybe every ten or twenth beep although sometimes i've played for an hour through the beeps with no effect on the game. With FEAR if i hit esc and reenter the game all is well (till it happens again) but with GRAW exiting to the menu or reloading the last checkpoint doesn't work. I have to exit the game and start it up again. Both games run fine apart from this glitch.

I did a bit of research and while many people seem to get system beeps during games, usually due to overheated CPU or GPU's, i've not come across the issue of it affecting the gameplay like it is mine. I'm a bit ticked as I saved hard to get the PC especially for gaming and if I can't resolve this I won't be a happy camper. If the general consenus is overheating could someone tell me why the system listed would overheat and what i could do to fix it. I thought it would be up to the job of running both games well but maybe I'm wrong ?

I ran memtest on the RAM, no problems. Checked temps in BIOS, everything seems ok although I don't know how to measure the temperature of the video card.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mills

P.S. Nothing Overclocked btw.

Well... I've heard of a thing with keyboard "ghosting" which is when you press too many buttons on your keyboard at once, and something inside your keyboard or in your motherboard goes haywire, with varying results. If you're not pressing, say 6 buttons all at once though, you can disregard this... unless you have a really cheap keyboard.

"Gaming" keyboards usually include a buffer (or something like an extra chip) to prevent this sort of problem. Or it could just be a keyboard failure- its just past its prime or has a fault.

Tests: Replace the keyboard, install any needed drivers, and use the new one for a few bouts. If the same thing happens, its not the board. If it does, it was the board.

Let us know what you turn up though, k?

TestIcon1.jpg

thanks for the replys.

I don't think its the keyboard. I've played the demo of GRAW and the retail version of FEAR with the same keyboard on my old system and never had the problem. Definately not pressing too many keys together.

I'll download the program to monitor the gpu temp and go from there. I did take off the side panel, same results. One other thing, with GRAW this happens practically straight away when I start the game. I would have thought it would take the gpu a bit of time to heat up enough to start causing problems. Anyway I'll soldier on and see what happens.

I don't know enough on the subject to know if theres good airflow or not. The cables are tided away. It is a large graphics card though and does take up a lot of room in the case.

Thanks again.

Mills

Stock CPU cooler.

What i've done now is run ntune and set the gpu fan to run at 100%. At idle the temp was 61C, with fan at 100 it came down to 58C. Just played GRAW for about half an hour. Took longer for the beeps to begin and I got no ingame effects. When I quit the game and checked temps it was at 61C. Now after idling for 5 mins its at 53C. Nvidia also puts the cpu temp at 47C. Is this ok ? Seems a bit high to me :confused:

Thanks for the help so far.

Mills

Well... I've heard of a thing with keyboard "ghosting" which is when you press too many buttons on your keyboard at once, and something inside your keyboard or in your motherboard goes haywire, with varying results. If you're not pressing, say 6 buttons all at once though, you can disregard this... unless you have a really cheap keyboard.

"Gaming" keyboards usually include a buffer (or something like an extra chip) to prevent this sort of problem. Or it could just be a keyboard failure- its just past its prime or has a fault.

Tests: Replace the keyboard, install any needed drivers, and use the new one for a few bouts. If the same thing happens, its not the board. If it does, it was the board.

Let us know what you turn up though, k?

TestIcon1.jpg

Replaced the ps/2 keyboard with a with a usb keyboard. Problem seems to be solved. Thanks for the help guys.

Mills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom