Static wrist band a must?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always use a wrist strap when I build my computers. You can buy one for $5.00 and personally I don't think it is worth the risk. I just had an incident the other day working on my computer I neglected to wear the wrist strap, I just touched the metal case to ground myself but somehow and I am not sure if this was static related, but I corrupted the chip on the motherboard. If it was not static I don't know what it was because I accidentally touched my board while I was dusting my case. I also use an anti static mat.

I don't really think it's worth it, IMO. All I do is just touch the chassis every now and then, just to make sure. Just a quick tap is all you gotta do... I feel too constricted when I use a wrist strap xD.

Ya, i've always been scared about it but after this 2nd build of mine without one... just touching the PSU + case before using it works for me....

I dont understand the boiling the water comment by exo... lol

Boiling water adds humidity to the room. Higher humidity = less chance for static to build up. Drier climates have much higher static build up.

Heh...I've taken off a fleece sweatshirt I have quite a few times, and I can feel my shirt (andhear the static) coming off...I just discharge myself, and start workin lol.

In my A+ Class we had to use them.

When I work on my own computers, I never use them.

When Working with clients, I always use them.

I get that when i get home from work if i'm wearing a polyester shirt. Its really bad sometimes because i have shoulder length blonde hair so my crap goes everywhere when i get static.

i used one for my first build but havn't since. they arn't worth it, and do like everyone else said, touch the inside of the case every few minutes to dis charge and static. iv worked on a computer on a shag carpet and i wasn't wearing a static band and i didn't have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom