Static Pre-Cautions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It all worked fine....I built half last night and the other half this morning. The only thing I have had trouble with is the headers working at the front of the case, but I have not had the time to install all the drivers yet (had to go to school which is where I'm typing from) so it might just be that...

Also, the 8800GTX BARELY fit inside my case which I thought was huge...But at least nothing came DOA!

My first advice is to touch something metal, something grounded, then you're static free... for a while.

However, the most important thing to watch out for, and I can't stress this enough, is do not touch your CRT monitor at anytime while playing with sensitive chips. CRT monitors quickly develop a ton of static electricity on the screen, and the moment you touch that screen you now become a body of static electricity waiting to discharge that static on the first fragile microprocessor you touch. The bright side is, it kinda gives you the feeling of being Zeus, hurling lightning bolts at people.

If you don't believe me and you have a CRT monitor, place your palm up against it. You will hear the crackle of electricity, you will feel the hair on your arm standing up. You will also hear and feel the electrical discharge when the moment you touch something of dense metal (or that which can be considered ground).

And these same rules go for TV sets as well. Stay far, stay very far from CRT monitors when touching the chips and delicates of your computer.

Oh wait, I see you already put your computer together. Well, my message is a bit too late then.

Oh and if you have a LCD type monitor, I have no idea whether that thing creates a static charge.

But I'm not kidding about the CRT monitors. Just a few weeks ago I was cleaning the monitor screen while listening to music, and the moment I touched the screen I heard a loud electrical crackling sound come over my head phones. And to this day, my left speaker doesn't sound right :(

If you don't believe me and you have a CRT monitor, place your palm up against it. You will hear the crackle of electricity, you will feel the hair on your arm standing up. You will also hear and feel the electrical discharge when the moment you touch something of dense metal (or that which can be considered ground).
Mine doesn't :p. Just did it and nothing. But yes, it can happen.
Oh and if you have a LCD type monitor, I have no idea whether that thing creates a static charge.

No, they don't.

Mine doesn't :p. Just did it and nothing. But yes, it can happen.

No, they don't.

I just touched my monitor screen after reading your words and I felt and heard the crackle, just like last night when I touched the screen... so there :p
Hmm, may just be my monitor LOL

The only thing I have had trouble with is the headers working at the front of the case, but I have not had the time to install all the drivers yet (had to go to school which is where I'm typing from) so it might just be that...

Those pins are a PITA most of the time. Especially if they are single jumpers, and not all one unit. My old case was like that, I couldn't get my front mic to work right. Just be patient and make sure everything is plugged in right via the manual.

Shumway had the right idea, build naked, rofl. But if you can't do that, my advice is always caress the metal frame/case like it's a woman.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you supposed to plug in the PSU and have it off that way you will be fine?

Man I usually think of everybody as their avatars...so now Shumway is Silent Bob...naked :/

I have seen dusty ones build up some static, but now in days most chips are being designed to handle high voltage static shocks up to 25,000 volts, that is the point of extreme pain when touching electronics and letting your self discharge, atleast that is the little bit I remember from an A+ course I took 4 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom