Static Pre-Cautions... - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Static Pre-Cautions...

It all worked fine....I built half last night and the other half this morning. The only thing I have had trouble with is the headers working at the front of the case, but I have not had the time to install all the drivers yet (had to go to school which is where I'm typing from) so it might just be that...

Also, the 8800GTX BARELY fit inside my case which I thought was huge...But at least nothing came DOA!

Old 01-16-2009, 12:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
The Bulldog

I never got the front panels in my case to work either. I don't know, its a hit or miss thing.

ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
Old 01-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Techie

My first advice is to touch something metal, something grounded, then you're static free... for a while.

However, the most important thing to watch out for, and I can't stress this enough, is do not touch your CRT monitor at anytime while playing with sensitive chips. CRT monitors quickly develop a ton of static electricity on the screen, and the moment you touch that screen you now become a body of static electricity waiting to discharge that static on the first fragile microprocessor you touch. The bright side is, it kinda gives you the feeling of being Zeus, hurling lightning bolts at people.

If you don't believe me and you have a CRT monitor, place your palm up against it. You will hear the crackle of electricity, you will feel the hair on your arm standing up. You will also hear and feel the electrical discharge when the moment you touch something of dense metal (or that which can be considered ground).

And these same rules go for TV sets as well. Stay far, stay very far from CRT monitors when touching the chips and delicates of your computer.

Oh wait, I see you already put your computer together. Well, my message is a bit too late then.

Oh and if you have a LCD type monitor, I have no idea whether that thing creates a static charge.

But I'm not kidding about the CRT monitors. Just a few weeks ago I was cleaning the monitor screen while listening to music, and the moment I touched the screen I heard a loud electrical crackling sound come over my head phones. And to this day, my left speaker doesn't sound right
Audio= Intel 82801AA AC\'97 Audio Controller
Video= Intel 82810 Graphics Controller
OS= WinXP Pro / SP3 (32 bit)
Old 01-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Wolf View Post
If you don't believe me and you have a CRT monitor, place your palm up against it. You will hear the crackle of electricity, you will feel the hair on your arm standing up. You will also hear and feel the electrical discharge when the moment you touch something of dense metal (or that which can be considered ground).
Mine doesn't . Just did it and nothing. But yes, it can happen.
Quote:
Oh and if you have a LCD type monitor, I have no idea whether that thing creates a static charge.
No, they don't.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 01-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Mine doesn't . Just did it and nothing. But yes, it can happen.

No, they don't.
I just touched my monitor screen after reading your words and I felt and heard the crackle, just like last night when I touched the screen... so there :P
Hmm, may just be my monitor LOL
Audio= Intel 82801AA AC\'97 Audio Controller
Video= Intel 82810 Graphics Controller
OS= WinXP Pro / SP3 (32 bit)
Old 01-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
Private Joker

Could be because I turn my monitors off when I'm not using them.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 01-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenniumtiger View Post
The only thing I have had trouble with is the headers working at the front of the case, but I have not had the time to install all the drivers yet (had to go to school which is where I'm typing from) so it might just be that...
Those pins are a PITA most of the time. Especially if they are single jumpers, and not all one unit. My old case was like that, I couldn't get my front mic to work right. Just be patient and make sure everything is plugged in right via the manual.

Shumway had the right idea, build naked, rofl. But if you can't do that, my advice is always caress the metal frame/case like it's a woman.
thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
Old 01-22-2009, 03:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
What choice did I have?..

Send a message via AIM to SuxoR

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you supposed to plug in the PSU and have it off that way you will be fine?

Man I usually think of everybody as their avatars...so now Shumway is Silent Bob...naked :/
Old 01-22-2009, 11:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke

all my lcd screen don't build up static. But i clean them regularly.
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 01-22-2009, 11:54 AM   #20 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I have seen dusty ones build up some static, but now in days most chips are being designed to handle high voltage static shocks up to 25,000 volts, that is the point of extreme pain when touching electronics and letting your self discharge, atleast that is the little bit I remember from an A+ course I took 4 years ago.

Closed Thread