Starting over: Are these parts compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meefle

In Runtime
Motherboard:
ASRock 775VM800 DDR 400 1X AGP 4X/8X

Processor:
Pentium 4 Prescott 521 2.8GHZ 1MB L2 Cache

RAM:
G.Skill 1GB 184-Pin DDR 400

Video Card:
JetWay Radeon 9250 256MB DDR AGP 8X/4X

DVD Drive/Burner:
HP IDE Lightscribe

I already know about the hard drive so theres no problem there.
I have a 420 Watt power supply, should that be enough?

I already screwed up on my first build so i just want to make sure these parts will work together. It'll mainly be for AIM, editin videos, burning dvds, playin some old computer games like Deus Ex, Red Alert 2, Age of Empires 2, and maybe some new games. Maybe upgrade up to a pentium D or if i'm really lucky an Pentium EE (doubt that though).

I'll get the IEEE ports and extras once i get it up and running.

The parts should all fit together but i would recomend going for a amd64 3200 or 3500. Also If you want a decent video card for gaming get a Geforce 6600gt because that video card doesnt look to good.

They will work together fine.

For gaming, go with what Ezekiel said.

The main thing is build what you want, and be proud of it. And use what you can afford... you can always upgrade later.

thanks for suggesting a new video card but i'd rather stick with ATI. I want a different card but the problem is, i already have it so i would have to pay to ship it back to newegg. But if you find an ATI (Radeon) thats better than the one i have and still at a reasonable price (i have 100 dollars to spend but i still need to buy a floppy drive, tv tuner, and a IEEE PCI card).

and about the AMD, i want an AMD but i already have the processor and the motherboard is on its way. Probably by summer (when i get a job) i'll probably save up to build an AMD per gamin comp. i've worked with intel since i started on a comp and i've heard so many good stuff about AMD so eventually i'll get one.

The 9250 is a terrible card and at a terrible price. There isn't really any ATI cards that are good price/performance ratio. I know you like ATI, but you could give Nvidia a try. The 6600GT will play all of todays games at medium settings at least and still get decent framerates. The 9250 will have major trouble playing newer games like FEAR, CoD 2 and BF2.

well now that i think of it, its probably better to buy a really good video card then have a crappy one then buy a good one so i think i'll stick with my onboard video (which probably sticks) and save for a 6600GT or if you have any other suggestions.

do you think my onboard video will work with at least Deus Ex and Red Alert? (i have an ASRock 775VM800)

The 660GT will outperform the 6600 no matter what the memory due to its speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom