SSD's - a risk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roweder

In Runtime
I've been looking into getting an SSD for my PC for a while, and I've been browsing and researching SSD's for a while, but on almost every SSD on newegg that I look at, 1/3 of the reviews either say that the drive died after a few hours or just over a month, or that it never worked and caused problems like not being able to wake up from sleep. Also, on drives that use sandforce controllers, I see reviews that say "I'm going to go with Intel", then on Intel drives, I see reviews saying "I expected more from Intel". So many of the reviews I've seen, almost all of them from verified owners, point to the conclusion that SSD's are much more trouble than they're worth.

Are SSD's still a slightly unreliable new technology? If I want to use one as my boot drive, and I expect to install it and it to run happily ever after, should I wait a few years for their reliability to increase? I feel like if I buy an SSD, mine will constantly screw me until I beg newegg to take it back.

Does anyone have any personal experience with successful or unsuccessful SSD's? If I buy one, what is the likelihood that it will work without any issues?

Most newegg reviewers don't know what they are talking about. Both of my SSDs have been rock solid. My OCZ Agility is getting close to a year old and still performs just like new and my several month old Vertex 2 has also been flawless.

At this point Sandforce drives are the best choice for nearly all users and offer the best performance you can get in a consumer drive.

I got a sandforce drive 120gb and no problem. I wish they where cheaper tho so i can get another one!!!!!!!!!!

A risk? No, not really. SSD's are a new technology and as such they are still surrounded by speculation from the majority of users. Right now the biggest issues with SSD's are their price, there expensive. But most people don't want to admit that there "to cheap" or "to poor" to buy a SSD so they just find another excuse to use instead.

Any type of flash/ssd memory will fail sooner than a good old hard disk, though, tech keeps improving, I don't see a purpose in an SSD over two HDD in raid 0 if its speed your needing.

i think its new technology as time goes on it will improve real thing is that ssd's r expensive

Any type of flash/ssd memory will fail sooner than a good old hard disk

That is exactly what I'm talking about. There is no proof to back that statement up with. You can't rely on the facts surrounding older flash memory and then apply it to the newer technology. Doing so is like saying a Phenom cpu is likely to burnout from heat because the older Athlon XP cpu had that problem.

If anything the moving parts inside a std. HDD make it more likely to die sooner than a SSD.

Any type of flash/ssd memory will fail sooner than a good old hard disk, though, tech keeps improving, I don't see a purpose in an SSD over two HDD in raid 0 if its speed your needing.

A single Sandforce SSD is still an order of magnitude faster than Caviar Blacks in RAID and will be much less likely to lose all of your data.

I think it's hilarious that people consider hard drives to be reliable, drive failures are one of the most common hardware problems I've seen on systems.

That is exactly what I'm talking about. There is no proof to back that statement up with. You can't rely on the facts surrounding older flash memory and then apply it to the newer technology. Doing so is like saying a Phenom cpu is likely to burnout from heat because the older Athlon XP cpu had that problem.

If anything the moving parts inside a std. HDD make it more likely to die sooner than a SSD.
Tee hee hee. :p

A single Sandforce SSD is still an order of magnitude faster than Caviar Blacks in RAID and will be much less likely to lose all of your data.

I think it's hilarious that people consider hard drives to be reliable, drive failures are one of the most common hardware problems I've seen on systems.
Yeah, that's what happened to my computer. I lost so many things. :(

Wow, thank you guys for all of the replies, I'm absorbing all of this information like a sponge, keep responding I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom