SSD & Windows 7 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default SSD & Windows 7

I think I know the answer but I wanted to confirm before I jumped into this project. I just bought this with the intent of formatting my other two drives and using the SSD as my primary boot drive with the OS installed on it.

I have a genuine OEM copy of Win 7 64 bit. My understating is as long as I don't change the MoBo I can reinstall an OEM copy of Windows on any old or new drive as many times as as I want. Is this true? Thanks.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: SSD & Windows 7

As long as you do not change drastic hardware, yes. HDD/SDD are not that drastic.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

just throwing this out there you can always clone the hdd to the ssd and then wipe the hdd
Old 02-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

you can do that with Paragon.

Free edition: Tip: Protect your PC with Paragon Backup & Recovery (Advanced) Free 2011

You have to make your own bootable cd to load this program, but that's easy.
You can clone your entire drive, and boot up the cd, follow prompts, and restore.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I would do a "fresh" install, I just replaced my i7 920, X58 mobo and 6GB Memory kit with a i7 2600K, P8P67 Pro mobo and 8GB Memory kit with a OEM ver. of Windows 7 Pro and it re-activated over the internet just fine. And while I'm not positive of the number, I know I've done at least 10 re-installs since Windows 7 came out. My Office 2010 on the other hand is much stricter, I had to re-activate it over the phone this last time.

Now I'm not guaranteeing that it will activate online, it probably will but if it doesn't then it should over the phone.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

I did a fresh install of Win 7 onto the SSD.... There is a HUGE improvement in speed, most notably boot up and shut down times. Even putting it to sleep takes like 5 seconds, and it wakes up almost as quick. I think I counted a 14 second boot up time from power button to desktop. My Windows rating went from 5.9 to 7.2. I didn't really even have to reinstall some of my older programs since I never formatted the old drive. I am just running them as they were installed on my other drive, and they work fine. Other programs like Google Earth, Winamp, Avast, AIM, MSN etc... I installed onto the SSD. I've noticed that they load 110% faster then before. Larger programs like my games I have on my other two HDD's. I plan on getting a second and third SSD in the future and slowly fazing out my HDD's. Over all, I am happy about this purchase