SSD upgrade

1etherer

Fully Optimized
Hey people :cool:

I've just got a Samsung 840 evo 120g SSD, and wanted to know your throughs on it's write cycle if I upgrade.

I have hibernation set up on my PC as I run scripts during the night so it switches on then hibernates after. Some people suggest not to use hibernation on SSD, but if I do what life expectancy would I be looking at. At most I write only about 10gb on a day, and average maybe only 3gb normally as I'm not always on my PC..

Cheers :cool:

Over 10 years worth on or off. I would turn hibernation off because it's using the amount of RAM you have worth of space on your SSD. If you want your PC off when it's done just tell it to go into sleep mode.

Over 10 years worth on or off. I would turn hibernation off because it's using the amount of RAM you have worth of space on your SSD. If you want your PC off when it's done just tell it to go into sleep mode.

10 years would be ok with me, I was thinking someone would say 3/4 years.. even 7 years would be good for me as I don't expect to keep this as my Boot drive for ever but would like to use as storage later.

The reason I use hibernation over sleep is it uses next to no power. If I use sleep mode it would basically be on 24/7 using up alot more power(higher bills). so you think I could get upto around 10 years if I leave my setup as it is?

Sleep mode does not use full power, and neither does your pc just sitting idle. You wouldn't notice your bill increase from the 10 or so watts of an idle pc. A light bulb consumes more power. My pc at full load running folding at home would only increase my bill about 10 bucks and that's about 600w constant.

Sleep mode still shuts down your pc, it just keeps power to ram to save the current session rather than storing the ram state on the drive like hibernation.

Even mid-range SSDs are rated at about 5 years usage, but in reality they'll very likely last more than 10 years. Hopefully by then a 120/250 SSD will be laughably small. With a modern SSD, other effects such as heat or a power surge are more likely to make them useless than expending the read+write maximum.

Sleep mode still shuts down your pc, it just keeps power to ram to save the current session rather than storing the ram state on the drive like hibernation.

I'll just add to this, there are a variety of sleep states that vary from "most things are on except the CPU is heavily throttled" to "everything is off except a bare trickle to the RAM to keep it powered". The more modern your CPU+chipset+etc. the "deeper" the sleep states available to you.

Last edited:
Ok, cheers i'll swap it into sleep state when I upgrade to SSD. :cool:

off-topic I was thinking about folding after reading about it.. seeing as it doesnt raise your bill that much I might do it :cool:

The only time my PC is not up and running is during a reboot. I have it set to never sleep or hibernate; I just turn my monitors off when not in use.

The only time my PC is not up and running is during a reboot. I have it set to never sleep or hibernate; I just turn my monitors off when not in use.

My housemates pay my electricity thanks to an arrangement, so I try and keep my desktop asleep as much as possible to be nice.

Though recent convos on TF have made me want to get back into folding again, so sod my housemates I guess :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom