SSD Upgrade

Ornamexito

Baseband Member
Hello everyone, i am planning to replace my 5 year old HDD with an 256GB SSD 6GB/s. I have a few questions about speed; is the SSD faster in everything than a HDD? or does it just boot faster and open applications faster? is the HDD faster in some situations? And finally, is it worth it to buy a 256GB SSD that will be used as the main drive with windows 8 OR buy a HDD with more space?

Hello everyone, i am planning to replace my 5 year old HDD with an 256GB SSD 6GB/s. I have a few questions about speed; is the SSD faster in everything than a HDD? or does it just boot faster and open applications faster? is the HDD faster in some situations? And finally, is it worth it to buy a 256GB SSD that will be used as the main drive with windows 8 OR buy a HDD with more space?

the ssd will be faster for everything
EVERYTHING

it's situational to your needs and your budget. Do you have a terabyte of data with low frequency of use? do you have 100 Gb of mostly games?

Well if its faster in everything then yeah i will buy it. No i dont have that much programs and games. My internal HDD is 160gb with windows on it, and for storage i am using an external 750gb hdd at the moment. Things that will take up a lot of space (movies, music and heavy programs/games) i will probably keep on my external hdd and other things on the ssd. Thanks for the reply! :)

Be sure to go through this guide to get your SSD set up both properly and optimized.

Once you have it up and running you can convert your current 160GB drive into a programs drive for things you want faster than the external can deliver but do not want to have on the SSD.

Hmmm ok a lot of things to do there, are they important? do they increase the speed and things?

• Disable indexing
• Turn Off the Disk Defragmenter Schedule
• Disable defragmentation
• Disable Superfetch / Prefetch
• Disable the Page File
• Disable System Restore
• Disable Hibernate
• TRIM Commands

All of those prevent excessive write commands to your SSD giving it a way longer life.

Technically, you could get away with simply having AHCI on and disabling pagefile. If you're using Windows 8 it pretty much has good SSD support and reduces a lot of things but if you aren't careful you can easily eat up 8+GB of SSD space by the stupid pagefile. I have 32GB of RAM, so naturally I was all over it to free up 32GB of space.

Yea that's the smartest thing. I would disable Microsoft Shadow Copy and Volume Shadow Copy services, offline files, Windows Defender, and Superfetch as well.

Back
Top Bottom