SSD Question

pro2a

In Runtime
To preface this I have a MoBo which supports SATA 2.

In the mean time I bought two SATA 3 180Gb SSD's... In your opinion should I set one of these drives as my boot drive since I run only a SATA 2, or should I just let my boot drive alone (Which is a OCZ 80G SSD) until it it is time for a new MoBo and use my 2 new drives as extra space for now?

I eventually plan to get upgrade to a board which supports SATA 3 to make full use of the two drives I just bought.

To preface this I have a MoBo which supports SATA 2.

In the mean time I bought two SATA 3 180Gb SSD's... In your opinion should I set one of these drives as my boot drive since I run only a SATA 2, or should I just let my boot drive alone (Which is a OCZ 80G SSD) until it it is time for a new MoBo and use my 2 new drives as extra space for now?

I eventually plan to get upgrade to a board which supports SATA 3 to make full use of the two drives I just bought.

If I was you I wouldn't use those two new SSD's at all unless you just need much faster space. The reason I say this is because as you probably know SSD's can only be written to much, so I like to use them very resourcefully. Replacing those for your current OCZ though I think is pointless because your not going to gain any speed, that SATA 2 connection is definitely limiting your speed.

install acronis disk imaging software, setup and format the Raid 0 array for your two now SSD's, clone your current operating system drive to the new raid array.

After that works, install all of your programs ( games, apps, etc... ) to the new raid array. Store all of your bulky data somewhere else ( like I bought a 3TB drive for videos, docs, etc... ) Sell your smaller/older SSD and put it towards your 3TB drive. I do this, works like a champ...you definitely want all of your programs to load from the Raid array.

I was about to start a thread pretty much asking the same question. I just bought another m4 256GB and im a little ignorant when it comes to RAID. If i put the 2 m4's in RAID, will i have to re-install Windows? I just put my PC together about a week ago and i dont want to do a re-install already. My original plan was to just put the second drive in there separately.

You NEED to reinstall windows if your boot partition is on the RAID volume. Make sure when creating the raid volume you do it right. If your controller dont support TRIM under RAID, make sure to leave your PC at the logon prompt for garbage collection on the SSD's to work.

I don't think you'll gain much from using it as a secondary drive.

You'd be surprised. I've got a 60gb Agility 2 for my os, a 120gb Sandisk Ultra for apps, and a 40gb Intel X25-V for my VM's and adding all of those drives was worth the cost to me. It isn't as drastic of a difference as upgrading your os drive but it's still an improvement.

Don't worry about the write limits, they are high enough that you will likely replace the drive long before it's ever any concern.

Back
Top Bottom