ssd advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEATHRUNE

Solid State Member
Hi, so for Christmas I want to be building a new system, It will feature the AMD FX-8150 (shh):devil:

On my budget, I just about have enough left for a hard drive. I was originally planning for a 1tb sata drive but now I found out about SSD's.

So, pushing £100, I mainly want speed, I just love speed. I would sacrifice memory for speed. I have an external 700gb hard drive, this has my back ups and such. An oldish 80gb sata.

So, please could someone suggest an ssd for me, you see there are so many speeds and such it is hard to find a fast one but with good value. I am looking for about 64gb ssd, to hold my Windows 7 and my most played games like WoW and Gmod.

But I want the speed, would it be better to get 2x32gb on raid0 and what are these controlers.

Someone please give me a specific model to suggest. I was thinking of this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004Z0S6RU/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_g147_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=121DKQ5AQ1RCBRVQE533&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

But I don't really know the specific specs, it varies on different websites, do these 'controlers' increase speed or something?

thanks very much :) (don't rant about my bulldozer).

I'd get as large a SSD as you can...keep in mind, that Windows 7 with all its updates and such takes up about 20gb, so you'll have to be selective about which programs you put on there. For some that's not a problem, but if you have lots of programs and games like I do, 60gb fills up too fast. I wouldn't bother with raid 0 or anything, you probably won't be able to tell the difference in speed in most cases...also OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS edition is the fastest, but 120gb is the lowest size it goes, so if 60gb is as high as you can go, you should go with the plain old Vertex 3. Shoot for 90gb if you can!

thanks for these replies.

I will most likely get the Vertex 3 64gb. But I'll see if I could stretch my money after I've got the cpu and gpu.

Vertex 3 60gb: Read Rate:535MB/s. Write Rate:480MB/s

Vertex 3 120gb: (550 MB/sec) and write (500 MB/sec).

A little increase with he 120gb one, I will install windows 7 and my games that I play regularly with long loading times like garrys mod

Its a bit over budget but you can get a 120gb corsair force 3 for £125 on pixmania or amazon, ebuyer etc. Its the cheapest ssd I found that has read and write speeds over 500

Alright guys, here is the situation. I can afford my graphics card from this website thanks to google shopping, not sure if it is a legit website. Its so cheap!!! like 50% the price!

But, I might not be able to afford the hard drive/ssd. Well, I probably could stretch it. My question is, SSD or 1tb HDD? Baring in mind my current computers 500gb is filled with installed games, only installed not installers. So is it really worth getting the vertex 3 60gb, iys costing about £60 ive found.

Or to just get a 7200rpm 1tb, I could buy this later as well.

But, each website I visit the vertex 3 always shows different speeds, some with 500 and something mb/s for read and some with 185mb/s max read speed.

So can someone please tell me how faster the vortex 3 is than a 7200 rpm drive, how faster? 2 times faster?

Link the website. It's almost certainly not a legit website (or you're looking at the wrong product).

So can someone please tell me how faster the vortex 3 is than a 7200 rpm drive, how faster? 2 times faster?
Much much faster than two times faster. Average 7200RPM drive has 100MB read, 70MB write, and accessing stuff randomly is much much much much slower since it has to physically move the drive head to where the data is stored, whereas an SSD just gets it instantly.

Link the website. It's almost certainly not a legit website (or you're looking at the wrong product).

Much much faster than two times faster. Average 7200RPM drive has 100MB read, 70MB write, and accessing stuff randomly is much much much much slower since it has to physically move the drive head to where the data is stored, whereas an SSD just gets it instantly.

ah right, cool man, i'm just gonna get the ssd then

this was the website
[url]http://www.hardwareking.net/product_info.php?currency=GBP&info=p102771_Sapphire-Radeon-HD-6950-DiRT3--2GB-GDDR5--2x-DVI--HDMI--DisplayP.html

[/URL] where is this is normal website Sapphire 11188-05-50G HD6950 Graphics Card (2GB, GDDR5): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom