SSD, 500 GB HDD & 250 GB HDD setup

mwwwilson

In Runtime
Getting a 160GB SSD, have a 500 GB HDD now with Windows 7 Ultimate. I use this for rig for gaming. I also have a 250 GB HDD that I could incorporate with this system, if needed. I figure that I might as well use it. Ok, this is what I want to do.
Have my OS and certain games utilize the speed that the SSD can offer. Use the 500GB HDD for game and multimedia storage. I would transfer games as needed to the SSD. Use the 250GB HDD for misc. files, possibly for backup.
So here comes the question... How do I set it up? Do I have to reinstall the OS onto the SSD and wipe my 500GB HDD, which is currently my primary HDD with about 300GB full. Use RAID? HOW? HELP.

I know I'm asking a lot here but I have never messed with HDD layering. I'm just wanting OS boot up speed, game boot speed (for certain games) out of this SSD.
Thanks,
MARK

Well you can't use RAID.

Best way to go about it is doing a fresh install. Just install the SSD by itself into your machine, install Windows, your programs ect, then toss your 500GB in and save important info and wipe it.

The next way you could go about doing it is cloning the drive to the SSD.

Will I have to install any type of OS or anything on the 500GB HDD in order to just use it for game storage.

Will I have to install any type of OS or anything on the 500GB HDD in order to just use it for game storage.

As PP said above...

If you do a fresh install. Make sure that you only have the SSD drive installed at the time of load. Otherwise the OS will install a 100mb boot loader partition onto the other drive. And if for some reason later on, you want to remove the drive, format, etc... , the OS won't load without it.

Back
Top Bottom