Speed of a data drive, does it matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristian221

Beta member
Hi! I am currently building my first gaming rig, and needed some advice. I am buying a SSD to put the operating system and several programs on to have instant boot times.

Does the SSD increase speed at all if the game is not loaded onto it? I assume not but I could be wrong.

I am also getting a large data drive, either two 2TB drives or a 3TB drive(any recommendations?) and I was wondering how much the data drives rpm will decrease loading times if it is not the boot drive? Does the rpm of the data drive even matter?

Thank you for your time.

Of course it doesn't decrease a game's loading time if it isn't loaded onto it... If it is on the other hand: wow-eee.... Near instantaneous compared to a traditional drive.

RPM does matter. 7200 is probably the lowest speed you want to go with. 10,000 is faster. Depends on how much load times bother you. Just depends on if you can boot the program from the data drive. I'm not enough of a wizard to tell you definatively if you can boot everything from a data drive. I know i've had trouble in the past booting games from it, but that is most likely because i'm a noob too :D

SSD's can load Windows full GUI, no animated circle, in 20 seconds, my record.

There is a price difference between 7.200 and 10,000, though. 7.200 is the standard for 99% of non-gameaholics.

So then the SSD will only effect my boot time and nothing else? And any games on the data drive will only be loaded faster do to the data drives speed? Ok thanks :) So now for the hard part, finding a cheap 3TB or two cheap 2TB hard drives at 7200rpm! Any recommendations?

SSDs can load ANYTHING at lightning speed. Just where it shines the most is in Windows Startup.

The loading on games is due to so many factors. I'll let someone else get that sector.

Just understand the 2TB limit. You can not have an OS partition larger than 2TB. Or you get into trouble with errors.

My SSD is not very big, I am working on a budget. It will only have room for the operating system and several programs, most likely music player ect.
Thank you very much, so in other words it would be a lot easier to put in two 2TB hard drives then one 3TB? And if I do use a 3TB it will have to appear as two drives on the computer? I know little about partitioning other than that it means it is basicly seperating one chunk of memory into two completely individual pieces.

And if I do use a 3TB it will have to appear as two drives on the computer?
If you use it to store your OS on, then probably yes. If you don't, then no.

What parts have you decided on so far?

Just understand the 2TB limit. You can not have an OS partition larger than 2TB. Or you get into trouble with errors.
If he has a 1155 motherboard then this limit no longer applies to most of them, as most 1155 motherboards use UEFI instead of BIOS. He probably doesn't have a 1155, but I thought it would be worth mentioning ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom