Sound to the fore

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreyMackUK

Solid State Member
In the coming months i will be building from scratch a new pc so there may well be some obvious questions requesting advice coming soon.

First up i thought i'd start with sound.

I've never been a fan of onboard sound although i'm told it is now much better so when i buy my new motherboard would it be wise to get one with good onboard sound?
My old system has an audigy card, probably 4+ years old, one of the first ones out, would it be worth upgrading to an audigy 2? Or i have even noticed there's an audigy 4 with a remote control, is that worth the investment?
Or just keep the old original audigy?

I should point my sound system comprises of 4 speakers, 2 in monitor and 2 altec lansing speakers, so no not cutting edge.

I would be gratefull for some sound advice :).........do you see what i did there :)

Thanks

that would depend on what your budget is and what you want to do with your new machine.

Some people will suggest the X-fi which is expensive... to the Audigy 2 ZS card... but if your not much of an audio nut or not sure of how to work an equalizer then today's onboard is pretty good... As long as the mobo has at least 5.1 sound you should be good.

We can help with the rest of your parts if you need some advice as well...

My budget is basically i won't pay for an X-Fi which as you say is expensive, i could buy an audigy 2 or 4 but i'm not sure the difference.

Are you recommending the onboard sound over my original audigy card?

And as for what i want to do with it well i play games and i listen to music but i don't have any 5-1 or even 7-1 surround sound systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom