Sony PSU Problem, not user replaceable

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
Is my computer an ATX Power Supply?

Will this power supply work: Newegg.com - FSP Group (Fortron Source) ATX400-PA, version 2.0, SATA, 400W Power Supply - OEM

Do you guys have a better power supply deal than the link posted above?

The dimentions of my current power supply are as follows: Width: 6 1/2" Depth: 3 15/16 Height: 3 1/2"

i dont know abouts its amps and stuff, where do I find that out?

here are some pictures though to see which power supply works or not:

imga0686zu3.jpg

imga0687ce4.jpg

imga0688bn0.jpg

imga0689co0.jpg

this is my old post said:
sony support said:
We're sorry for the confusion. The power supply unit of the Desktop is not designed to be user replaceable. If the power supply unit is defective and requires replacement, service will be required. Please review the various service options available below:

1. If your VAIO is still in the warranty period, please call our telephone
support agents for assistance. They will confirm the need for repair
and setup any service required: (888) 476-6972.
TIP: You may be asked to fax a COPY of your purchase receipt.

2. If your system is outside of warranty, but you purchased an extended
warranty plan, you will need to call the contract provider for service.

3. If your system is outside of warranty, and is not covered by an extended
warranty plan, you may take the computer to any local computer service
center for diagnosis and repair (Sony will not recommend or endorse a
non-Sony servicer). Or, Sony offers our VAIO service center. You can find
Sony's repair information and initiate service for your VAIO at:
Sony eSupport - Service & Repair

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Your Sony Email Response Team

Basic recap is that I bought a video card, it requires minimum of 400 watts, my sony pcv rs 430 g only has 300 watts.

Any idea on what steps I can do now? I'm screwed. I bought my video card at newegg. you think I could return it even though its opened and stuff but not used?

What consequences will I face if I put the video card that requires 400 watts into a 300 watt? (like can it break my computer etc...?) Many people said that they have 300 watts and can run video cards that require a minimum of 400 watts.

I was thinking that maybe I could buy a new case and move all my stuff on my computer into it?

You really did not need to open up a new thread but ok heres what I would do.

Put the card in and try it...if it doesn't get to windows then it won't work. If this is the case then you could buy a new case for about 15-20 bucks and a new PSU for about 35 bucks and then put in the card.

Well, of course they will says it's not user replacable, it's a propriatary computer. But if it's the truth, then you could go ahead and move everything to a new case along with getting a new PSU.

You could try to install the video card in your current setup, and if it boots, good, and if it stays stable for an extended period of time, then great. But if your PSU can't handle it, then it may not post at all, or crash/shutdown shortly afterwards. If that happens, then just yank out the video card and not much can be done in that case other than moving the guts into another case.

For the most part, PC parts are replacable, you could also just get a new PSU, 500w or more (just for the extra leeway), and test fit it in your Sony PC, and hey, if that ends up working, then Sony was just trying to make some more money from you, if that doesn't work, well, you end up with a new PSU, new video card, and then all you need is the case!

Is my computer an ATX Power Supply?

Will this power supply work: Newegg.com - FSP Group (Fortron Source) ATX400-PA, version 2.0, SATA, 400W Power Supply - OEM

Do you guys have a better power supply deal than the link posted above?

The dimentions of my current power supply are as follows: Width: 6 1/2" Depth: 3 15/16 Height: 3 1/2"

i dont know abouts its amps and stuff, where do I find that out?

here are some pictures though to see which power supply works or not:

imga0686zu3.jpg

imga0687ce4.jpg

imga0688bn0.jpg

imga0689co0.jpg

quality wise they are very very similar...the FSP I guess may be a little better. But either one is very good quality and will work. The Xclio has 50 more rated watts as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom