Some questions [First computer build]

Status
Not open for further replies.
the distance between the motherboard tray and the external panel is roughly 7"
7" = 177.8mm, the 212 is 158.5mm tall so you should be fine. Got this from a rather detailed review here.

Keyboard suggestion:
Logitech G110. I have the G15 and love it, difference is the 110 has more macro buttons, no LCD screen, and blue backlit keys instead of red. Honestly, I'd rather have the 110 since I don't even use the LCD anymore, granted I don't use the macro eyes either though.

*Edit apparently you can change the backlight color on the 110

Based on what I've seen, that's probably going to be the keyboard I'm going for. Looks pretty nice, and is fairly easy on the wallet.

With the G.Skill 8GB going out of stock on Newegg, and absolutely unavailable in any electronics stores within a reasonable driving distance from my house, I've had to take a look at what my other 8GB options are. I'm taking a look at:
Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB
Based on what I've read about it, there wouldn't be any compatibility issues and it would otherwise be comparable to the original G.Skill I was looking at initially. Am I correct on that or should I scuttle back to the drawing board?

Most likely my final question before purchasing all of the parts on Thursday. Again, thanks for all of the help you two have given me. Made me go from uncertain to about to buy faster than I would have alone.

That RAM should work just fine, but there are some discussions over what voltage should be used with the Sandy Bridge CPUs. The G.Skill is 1.5v, that Patriot is 1.65v, and here is a quote from an AnandTech thread about the difference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign_lee
What exactly could happen by running my memory at 1.65V instead of 1.5V?

1.65v appears to be the limit that the CPU's IMC can handle in all the recent Intel CPUs. What can happen is the CPU can die. Actually, it is more of a voltage differential between the IMC and something else. In any case, don't go over 1.65v and you should be fine.

Personally I prefer lower voltage memory because any DDR3 rated at 1.65v is factory overclocked and basically wasn't originally designed to run at those speeds.
I would check the motherboard's RAM compatibility list (here) and consider something at 1.5v

Well that's interesting to know, and certainly something I'll have to keep in mind in the future. Thanks for preventing that hassle it would cause.

Based on what I've seen available CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB is probably the one I'd go grabby hands over. It meets the 1.5v number, and based on the handful of reviews I've seen about it and the information on newegg, it should be compatible. It should work fine as well, but without the issue of the voltage, if I'm reading things right. Or back to the drawing board once more?

The Corsair Vengeance is good memory, but the heatspreaders are really tall and they interfere with a lot of cpu heatsinks. While the G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB(2x4GB) 9-9-9-24 @ 1.5v is out of stock, the G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB(2x4GB) 9-9-9-24 @1.5v is in stock for the same price with the only real difference being a slightly different heatspreader design.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

The G.Skill Sniper is also the same size, speed, latency, voltage and price but it has a totally different heatspreader design.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR

Or the G.Skill Ripjaws X are available with a blue heatspreader and Faster Latencies for a little extra cash.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom