Some BIOS help with a new MoBo - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Some BIOS help with a new MoBo

Trotter helped me a out a great deal getting an understanding of what I need to do after I install my new motherboard. I do not want to do this until I am 100% confident I have all the instructions down clearly. I plan on sitting there with my laptop as I do this. I've read countless webpages and watched many videos on Youtube and the process seems pretty strait forward. However....

I have taken much advice from many members here. The hardware installation will be a breeze... That I know I can do. I'm a little sketchy on understanding what GParted is and if there is anything I need to do to get rid of my dual boot all together. I believe the guy that built my PC used bootleg copies of Windows and I want to get rid of all that to avoid future problems. I purchased a legit copy of Windows 7 Full OEM to replace what I have now. I understand I need to put the hardware together first, then reformat, and reinstall Win 7.

My first question is what is GParted? I know it's a reformatting tool, but is it freeware or do I have to buy it? Once I install my new motherboard, I know my dual boot OS will be useless. How do I reformat with GParted? Is it a DOS/BIOS related program, or do I have to reformat before I install the motherboard? After I reformat everything successfully I have a second question...

In BIOS what exactly do I have to do to get everything working? I know my OS needs to be installed on SATA_1 and I need to set my DVD/CD-RW as the primary boot from devise... but I'm still a little sketchy with BIOS as well. What basic settings do I need to set before I install the OS?

If someone can help me with these few details I should be good. I understand everything else, but I have never done this before and want to make sure I have all the details correct before I do this... less I be out a few hundred bucks

Thanks again!

Old 09-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Some BIOS help with a new MoBo

GParted is an open source (free) software that you would need to burn to a CD. You can check the tutorial here. In the bios, set your DVD/CD-RW as first in the boot up sequence so it will read the disc in order to proceed.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Actually that helped a great deal. Now I know what to do. I made the disc and got the program to run before my OS booted up. So basically I install the motherboard, set the primary boot device to the DVD/CD drive in BIOS, run GParted, format, then install the OS?

Is there anything else in BIOS I need to do before I install the OS?
Old 09-06-2010, 10:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

That's it, simple as it seems .