-512 MB RAM
-Intel® Celeron® D Processor 3.33 ghz
-120 Gig HDD

I currently have these parts upgraded:

Radeon HD 4670
2 gigs of DDR2 RAM
Intel e7400 duo core processor 2.4 ghz
same 120 gig HDD

I would like to buy a computer that won't be out of the loop for a long time. (7-8 years?) I know that it is hard to predict when the technology in America will advance and how the prices will fall for stronger technologies. What should I be looking for as far as what kinds of parts to buy so that my computer lasts in the gaming world for a while.

A few quick questions:

What makes a good processor?
What makes a good Video Card?
What makes a good motherboard?
Is lots of RAM necessarily good?

Thanks

If you wan't a good, quality system you will need to build your own. OEM cut a lot of corners in areas that is just unacceptable.

I'm about to leave to go home, but when I get there I'll address the rest of your questions.

If you wan't a good, quality system you will need to build your own. OEM cut a lot of corners in areas that is just unacceptable.

I'm about to leave to go home, but when I get there I'll address the rest of your questions.

what do you mean by OEM?

It means Original Equipment Manufacturer. Companies like Dell, HP, Apple, Lenovo etc are PC OEMs. Companies like Intel and AMD are cpu OEMs, and companies like ATI and Nvidia are GPU OEMs.

Anyways, a lot of people come here wanting to build a "future" proof pc. You said that you wanted to have it last 8 years. It can last 8 years pretty easily depending on what your definition of useful is. if you want it to play the best games at high settings then it is impossible, technology moves to fast, but if you want it to surf the web and run word then 8 years is realistic.

Before we get on to the build list we need to know what your budget is and what you want your pc to do. Once we know that then we can get started.

Also this forum is full of tutorials on various subjects relating to hardware and software. We have a recommended build thread (co authored by yours truly) a power supply guide, an overclocking Guide, a recommended software guide and many more. if you read those first then chances are your questions will be answered before you ask them. If you do that you will be pretty knowledgeable and we will be able to help with more advanced stuff.

It means Original Equipment Manufacturer. Companies like Dell, HP, Apple, Lenovo etc are PC OEMs. Companies like Intel and AMD are cpu OEMs, and companies like ATI and Nvidia are GPU OEMs.

Anyways, a lot of people come here wanting to build a "future" proof pc. You said that you wanted to have it last 8 years. It can last 8 years pretty easily depending on what your definition of useful is. if you want it to play the best games at high settings then it is impossible, technology moves to fast, but if you want it to surf the web and run word then 8 years is realistic.

Before we get on to the build list we need to know what your budget is and what you want your pc to do. Once we know that then we can get started.

Also this forum is full of tutorials on various subjects relating to hardware and software. We have a recommended build thread (co authored by yours truly) a power supply guide, an overclocking Guide, a recommended software guide and many more. if you read those first then chances are your questions will be answered before you ask them. If you do that you will be pretty knowledgeable and we will be able to help with more advanced stuff.

Ok, Will do, I'll let this thread know if I have any more questions

Thanks

Ok for $1200 I think we can swing an i7 build.

CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Mobo:
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TPOWER X58A LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Ram:
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Video Card:
Newegg.com - XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

PSU:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Hard Drive:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Optical Drive:
Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Your choice of a case: http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/tech-forums-recommended-pc-components-v2-0-a-189986/

Cooling:
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
and you'll need this:
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-LGA1366 LGA 1366 Core I7 Retention Bracket - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

That should do it. Your total is: $1148 roughly. Add a case and you should be good to go.
I kinda cut it close on your budget and $50 wont buy you much of a case. You can swap out that 4890 for the 1gig 4870 and save some coin there. You could also opt for 1333mhz memory instead of 1600mhz, that should save you a bit too.

Here are some alternate choices:

4870:
Newegg.com - MSI R4870-T2D1G Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

and 133mhz ram:
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

About the only thing you cant max out with that build is Crysis, but add a second video card in crossfire and you will make quick work of it. I went with 3 gigs of ram to save cash so you can squeeze in the budget. I would recommend going to 6gigs in about a year. I would also get a second 4870 or 4890 in about a year too. With that cooler you are good for overclocking also.

thanks for all the help zmatt!!!

I really appreciate the effort you put in for me!!!

whats the difference between DDR2 memory and DDR3 memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom