Solid State Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

TuNiX

In Runtime
ITS HERE! this post might be somewhere else but thats fine ill just make a new one

you know how the hard drive is the slowest part of the computer? it huffs and Puffs and spins as fast as possible to keep up with the rest of the parts, well not anymore samsung has come out with the solid state 64GB drive, its the future of the hard drive be ready to throw out all your old hard drives in the next few years.

The market for flash-based solid state disk drives which act as drop-in replacements for traditional hard drives used in mobile and portable devices is heating up: Samsung announced today that it plans to ship a 64 GB solid state drive in the second quarter of this year. The announcement comes on the heels of SanDisk announcing a 32 GB flash drive only a couple weeks ago, and Fujitsu announcing solid state drives as an option in selected LifeBook portable computers.

Not only does Samsung's new offering increase the capacity available in solid state drives, it increases the performance as well. Samsung claims the respective read and write performance on the drive have been increased by 20 and 60 percent: the 64 GB unit can read 64 MB/S, write 45 MB/s, and consumes just half a Watt when operating (one tenth of a Watt when idle). In comparison, an 80 GB 1.8-inch hard drive reads at 15 MB/s, writes at 7 MB/s, and eats 1.5 Watts either operating or when idle.

Samsung plans to start mass production of the 64 GB solid state drive in the second quarter of 2007, although the company didn't release any estimates on the unit's price to OEMs or consumers.

sams_64gb_ssd_1.jpg

Source

Samsung Announces 64 GB Solid State Drive - Computing News - Digital Trends

Just so you know, I think that is months old.

Newegg has had solid state drives available for a while now.

yeah i know is old my good chum but i think its nuts! btw i have 138 post and you have 133, thats pretty cool if you ask me considering you joined 2 almost 3 years ago

If I remember right, the drives are *still* too expensive... or at least they were last time I checked.

If I went and posted all the new technology updates in the last year, I'd have 138 posts too.

I think around here quality is more important that quantity.

Wow. cant wait for the price to drop, though, really, who cares if the harddrive is the slowest part of the computer.. unless you are using it for virtual memory...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom