so i want to build a computer - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2006, 10:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
True Techie

thats all fine, all you need now to game is a good graphics card for AGP 8X theres really no better than a GF 6800GT any bigger than that and youl find your AGP will start to bottle-neck. if you want more than go with PCI EX but then youl need another motherboard.

Old 02-09-2006, 10:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Well, this might help you put it into perspective a little.

I have a 2.4ghz Celeron, 9600pro 256mb AGP, and 512 ram, all the rest of my comp is stock HP stuff, and I get about 5-40fps on CS Source. I rarely get 40 though, only when no one else is on a server, mostly just in the 20's.

My advice (even though it might be wrong) is:

1. Don't get a Celeron
2. Get a P4 at least
3. Get at least 512 ram, even though 1 gb is better
4. Don't buy an HP

Old 02-09-2006, 10:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
True Techie

agreed get at least a P4 and most importantly dont get a 5400rpm HDD either for the small price difference your better off geting a 7200RPM and if your motherboard can take it....SATA and again from there set up a RAID config.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Monster Techie

If you want good gaming results, try to save up some more money. Building your own is also a good idea, it will allow you to customize your machine more and save you money.

Thing you want to look for in a gaming computer:
1) AMD 64 processor (socket 939) AMD kills intel in gaming.
2) Good s939 motherboard, preferably made by ASUS, DFI, MSI, or Gigabyte. Make sure it has a DDR400 standard for RAM. Try to choose one that has SATA for hard drives. Also you want PCI express for your video card.
3) Try for a 1 or 2 gigs of DDR400 RAM.
4) You want a 7200RPM Hard drive, any less just plain sucks, and 10k RPM drives are very expensive. A SATA interface is preferable, because it alloys you to not need to deal with those annoying as **** ribbon cables with IDE.
5) Try for at least a 6600GT video card. That will allow you to play almost any current game on mid/high settings at a pretty good resolution. PCI express of course, if you get a PCI-ex motherboard, which you should.
6) A good solid PSU with plenty of amps on the 3.3V, 5V, and 12V rails. A good budget one for less than $50 (american, dont know canadian equiv) is Fortron. Make sure it has at least 450W, 500W+ is best. The next best step up and great PSU is the Antec TruepowerII 550W.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

im not looking to spend too much as this is not for is for a friend
and hes happy if its fast and runs games good it does not have to be top of the line
Old 02-10-2006, 03:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Newb Techie

what would you pick
also are they both capable for

Closed Thread