So, this is a good rig, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimreap

Beta member
So, I went out and over the last year, figured I had a pretty good rig going. I have an intel i5 750, EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card, and 8 gigs of ram. 2tb drive if relevant. However, my rig has been performing... less than I expected. Batman Arkam city is pretty much unplayable, Saints row the third is just barely, it gives me some problems when I max out some old games here or there, and battlefield 3... hit and miss. Here I was, thinking I had a good rig, but it's kinda kicking me in the shins and laughing at me. Am I doing something wrong here?

PS, sorry if this is in the wrong area <_< first visit

what settings and frame rates are you using and getting?
have you ran any stress test tools to find defects if any?
have you updated your drivers?
is your operating system fully updated?
what's your power supply unit?
what operating system are you running?
are your games fully updated?
what are the temperatures for your CPU and GPU like?
have you done any troubleshooting yourself? what are the results if any?

what settings and frame rates are you using and getting?
have you ran any stress test tools to find defects if any?
have you updated your drivers?
is your operating system fully updated?
what's your power supply unit?
what operating system are you running?
are your games fully updated?
what are the temperatures for your CPU and GPU like?
have you done any troubleshooting yourself? what are the results if any?

Dual monitor setup, 1920x1080 on one screen, 1600x900 on the other. I generally have to knock my graphics down midway to play some games, saints row I have to knock down pretty hard. Batmans simply unplayable in interior sections. As for framerates, in the 20ish area, sometimes less.
Drivers and games are all up to date.
Power supply is a 650,
Stress test, not since I got this card, no.
Windows 7 64 bit
CPU, not sure, GPU idles around 52ish, 60 when playing saints row 3
As for trouble shooting, I've tweeked settings where I could, didn't get very far. Ran a benchmark using cinebench, CPU got 1.07, GPU 9.32.

Edit: It's worth noting I reformated as well after getting that 2 tb drive.

power supply is a 650 what? model and make?

stress test - you said not since I got this card, were you having problems before too?
what was your previous video card? if AMD, did you uninstall any AMD drivers?

you can keep track of temperatures with a handy tool called hwmonitor.

1.07 cinebench CPU score is really low for your CPU, you should run prime95 and see if you get any errors.

power supply is a 650 what? model and make?

stress test - you said not since I got this card, were you having problems before too?
what was your previous video card? if AMD, did you uninstall any AMD drivers?

you can keep track of temperatures with a handy tool called hwmonitor.

1.07 cinebench CPU score is really low for your CPU, you should run prime95 and see if you get any errors.

Well, previous card was DOA, had to stress test that one. My old 260 wasn't as powerful as I would like, so I got my new one.
Plus, reformated, wouldn't have drivers left over anyway, much less on a brand new drive.

Power supply is a TX650W.

Also, after someone pointed out the obvious to me, I tried disabling my second monitor, saints row ran a good bit better.

Edit: After staring at the hardware monitor you suggested... my CPU is hanging around 89-95 on average.

It's worth noting that after de-dusting the hell out of it, the temp dropped to 75C. Still running hot, gonna replace the thermal paste, see if that helps, and get a better cooling unit.

At 1920x1080 you would have to turn some graphic options down in some newer games.

I would start by turning down AA that usually hits games pretty hard.

Some of the newer games will just need to be run on medium with no AA.

I've got the same CPU clocked @ 3.4 Ghz.
and I idle at 35-39C
so yeah, your CPU was literally SCORCHING hot.
you could probably BBQ on your CPU.

Indeed. Replacing the thermal past tomorow, and adding a better heatsink, probably getting a bigger case and a new mobo and CPU anyway, just want to see if the problem is resolved by the better cooler.

sounds really odd...sounds also as if your CPU is faulty...my AMD 250 II x2 had those symptoms you described. Now i have the Intel i5 2500K clocked at 4.5Ghz and voltages at 1.35 and im still idling at 35C with air cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom