So, educate me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

macdude425

Member (again)
I'm helping a friend build a new machine, and he's a little out of the loop as far as what's good these days (further out of the loop than I am). I've finally convinced him that Intel is the way to go for his processor, but he asked "So, is there any reason to get AMD anymore?"

So, is there?

Yes there is. And that is price. AMDs are good for budget systems. People will say that Intel is getting cheaper as well, and is faster clock for clock. But, if the purpose of this computer, is nothing more than internet browsing, or general use, AMD is fine. And they can hold their own in gaming. Intel is good too. Just saying that Intel isn't the only choice.

Where have you been macdude? Long time...

mac!!!! i haven't seen you forever... maybe thats why there's been ati vs intel/ps3 vs 360/vista vs xp flame wars and no os x vs xp flame wars....

and honestly in terms of price/performance stock i think amd has the upper hand with the 3600 x2 to 4200 x2 but any intel thats around the same level as the amd's can overclock way past the amd's.

The Intel E2100 and the E2200 actually look pretty decent and nice. If I knew my stuff when starting with my first build I'd probably have gone with them. But thats only cause my 4600+ is a power hog and heats up pretty quick. Don't really know why the 4600+ is 90nm or 89watts, but next CPU I buy I can guarantee it'll be a 65nm.

My e2180 runs 3.3ghz with no problem. Probably could go higher but my board isn't to great. Check clubit I think with combo price from buying any mobo I got mine for ~$65.

AMD is still viable and almost the better choice if you aren't overclocking and are on a budget.

If you are overclocking, there is no reason to buy AMD at all.

E2200 cost only around $85 and benchmarks shows them performing as good as 5000+ on average at stock speeds

Yes AMD still have some relevance, I'm generally a pure intel guy, but I was looking to make a very budget server to replace my broken pentium 4 one. AMD x2 4000+ for $60 bucks.... intel just doesn't have anything to compete with that performance for something that price. In the $100+ range though, Intel dominates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom