Small upgrades to my build, would it make a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceyc0ld

In Runtime
Hey techforums, was looking to see if I can make a small upgrade to my PC these holidays.

My specs are in my signature.

I'm thinking maybe upgrading to 8gb ram and then getting a bare minimum fan to overclock my CPU, I know the 8 GB won't do much but I know overclocking the cpu will (will it?)

So what can I get for say a budget of $70-$80?

RAM speeds, voltages, timings depends more on OC than its quantity. Are you an avid gamer? The extra RAM is nice, especially if you run a lot of background programs. I hope you are running on a x64 version of 7.

For RAM, get this: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

2 chips are better than 4. In my experience, some boards have problems with all 4 slots filled.

I use this cooler: Newegg.com - XIGMATEK Intel Core i7 compatible Dark Knight-S1283V REV.W with ACK-I5361 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler I7 i5 775 1155 and AMD compatible

It keeps my i3 2100 very cool. I also like Scythe, Noctua, and CoolerMaster. Have a look around. ;)

Yeah I wish I can get the H80, but limited so I figured I get ram with it.

Okay thanks. wanted to get an idea, and btw I play battlefield 3, and I heard that with extra ram it'll help with lockups with fps? Since it has to run a browser and the game and then I would only have 2GB left of ram to play with? Not sure how credible that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom