Small upgrades to my build, would it make a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I wish I can get the H80, but limited so I figured I get ram with it.

Okay thanks. wanted to get an idea, and btw I play battlefield 3, and I heard that with extra ram it'll help with lockups with fps? Since it has to run a browser and the game and then I would only have 2GB left of ram to play with? Not sure how credible that is.
It would only help if your RAM is the cause. IME, when I have less than half a gig (512MB) of RAM left on Win7 machines, they slow down.
Check windows task manager when you are gaming. If you normally run any other programs while gaming, run them too and look at how much RAM is actually being used.
If you are close to your max, then more RAM will help, if you have 1-2GB to spare, you are fine.

Ah okay, I'll look around one for a similar price now that that one is out of stock, see if I can maybe find a Cooler Master one.

edit: Ghost, I'll see how much ram I have left once I'm playing BF3, and report back, thanks.

Physical Memory is RAM left available for use correct?

edit: nevermind, got it, okay soon as this patch downloads for BF3, I will check my ram usage to see if I should get the 8gb upgrade.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103089 <---- Is that one good? Seems nice, and btw I have 3.50GB left of RAM for the rest. I had 2 livestreams running, 8 tabs open in chrome, steam chat open, skype running, and youtube open. and caspian border in battlefield 3. I'm ordering soon too.

Which version of Windows do you have?
Physical Memory is your total memory. What version of Windows do you have?
I'm guessing Windows Vista 32bit.
If so, then a memory upgrade will not help you due to a 32bit OS. 32bit can only utilize ~3.5GB

If this picture is correct, then Vista doesn't give accurate information regarding RAM. It's close, but it's off a little.
http://www.vista4beginners.com/files/img/task_manager/tm15.jpg

Take the total physical memory, 3500MB in your case. And subtract the amount used according to the bar shown on the middle left area of task manager.
Take the picture for example. 1534MB - 779MB = 775MB of RAM left
This calculation isn't perfect, but it's close.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit. So does this change anything? And would you recommend the fan I linked, so far from the reviews it seems good, but liked to get a professional opinion. There something cheaper that may perform the same? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m2305X575088X2c3bb9fc8e72ad1c285f2b0f6fca54f2

saw that for $25.99

edit: Will I need to buy thermal paste for a new cooler? Or anything for cleaning the old thermal paste?

edit2: Since I'm ordering late this evening or maybe tomorrow, you think that cooler will fit in a haf 922, I opened my case up and it seems like it will but a little skeptical, cause my gtx 460 is quite big and it's right under the cpu.

Windows 7 64bit allows you to have more than 4GB, that's a good thing. As long as you have more than 512MB of RAM left, then your RAM should not be slowing you down.

To clean the CPU once you remove the old heatsink, you can use isopropyl alcohol. Use the highest percent you can find, it absorbs more water, and evaporates quicker. If you get any on any components where it shouldnt be, they should be fine if you allow sufficient time for it to evaporate before running an electrical current through it.
Those are both good heatsink/fans and they do come with their own thermal paste. Regarding which one is better, here is a chart.
http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/akg/Air_Cooling/v6gt/38_scythe.jpg

The V6 GT is a better cooler, however, it's more expensive as well.
Depending on the amount of overclocking you are planning on doing, depends on which cooler you would want. If only light to moderate, then the Hyper 212+ should suffice. If you want a more extreme overclock, then the V6 GT would be the better buy.
Also, the dimensions are given. Measure inside your case to check is both would fit. If only one fits, then you can only use that one or one similar in size.

Edit: You could always throw another 120mm fan on the 212+. This one would be pretty nice, comes witha fan controller too.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200028

Alrighty, thanks so I guess I won't order thermal paste. I'm assuming I could find the isopropyl alcohol anywhere in a store or does it have to be a hardware store, also if I can't get any, would a dry rag/cloth do the trick? Also, do I need to remove the cpu to get the old paste out or shall I just clean it while it's on the socket?

Ghost, I'm planning on making a 3.6-3.8 Ghz, overclock. Would that be considered an extreme overclock, that's where I'll decide the cooler, and with my settings can I see any performance jumps in fps? In any case I'll go between the two and get a n520 which is in the middle of the two performance wise.

edit: http://www.guru3d.com/article/cooler-master-hyper-n520-review/3 Was reading the review of the N520, go to page 3 and go the last paragraph. "So follow the fan wiring, each fan is powered by a 3-pin connector. These connectors are plugged into a two into one power line so you are only using one fan header on your motherboard." That means I'm good with having only 1 3 pin header (the one the stock fan was on).

Only thing I'm worried about now is the ram is quite tall (darn g.skill great but fancy) hoping it fits under the heatsink. Might not be a problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxwg0DtQEVg saw that video and he g.skill-like ram and it fit just fine.

Thanks.

I recommend you clean it while it's in the socket. If you clean it outside the socket, it's easy to bent a pin and ruin the processor. Isopropyl Alcohol will dissolve the thermal paste, I find it easy to use a cotton swab (the kind that many people use to clean out their ears, even though they shouldn't use them).
Make sure that you don't get thermal paste on anything but the cpu/heatsink bottom. Chances are, it is both capacitive, and conductive. You could damage your motherboard if you get a small spec on it. When you begin dissolving the thermal paste with the alcohol, it may tend to drip. If it does get on anything clean 100% of it off.

A dry rag would not work well at all. Thermal paste tends to be a bit sticky. You need a liquid while cleaning. I recommend the alcohol because it evaporates, and usually takes the water with it. If you were to use plain water, it may work, but there could be small droplets of water in crevices on the motherboard. When you power the motherboard, these can cause shorts and damage the motherboard as well.

3.8 is pretty high with the AMD 6 core. I would go for the V6 to be sure that you can maintain decent temps.

Regarding the N520,
I googled a bit and didn't find any direct comparison. The general consensus was that the 212+ is better than the N520

You would likely be better off with the 212+ or the V6. The 212 does not come with that. My colleges internet doesn't like to load images, but it seems that the V6 uses a 4 pin PWM, along with a molex connector.

Edit: You should be able to find Isopropyl Alcohol at any drug store. It's commonly used to disinfect cuts.
It usually comes in a translucent bottle. It looks something like this:
http://www.first-aid-product.com/images/M/M313.jpg

Off-Topic: Expect spelling errors, no spell check on IE. :sad:

I'm getting a 120mm fan with the order if it matters.

I think it's called Acetone, it's an alchol used in women's nail liquid thing(nail polish remover, I googled it), would that work? I can get some from my aunt.

I'll try to stick in the V6 if I can if not it won't be TERRIBLE with the 212+ right? Speaking about the 212+ I read that it was good for people with ripjaws ram (tall), you think the V6 is like this.

Acetone should work. We use acetone for the final rinsing of glass in chemistry lab. I would assume that it's safe because I know it;s used for cleaning the small circuit board in flashlights, and it shouldn't leave residue. It smells terrible, expect a harsh chemical smell.
Acetone should be safe, but I'm not sure about nail polish remover. I know that some don't use acetone because it can be painful, especially in a cut. Look at the ingredients, if it's pure acetone, then it should be safe.

On a random note, Acetone seems to dissolve nearly any sticky residue, like the sticky side of tape. It also dissolves permanent marker marks.

You could buy this if you want to be safest.
I have it and it works the same as Isopropyl Alcohol.
Newegg.com - Tuniq TR-1 High Performance Thermal Material Remover
I have heard that this works excellent, but I have no experience with it myself.
Newegg.com - Arctic Silver ACN-60ML (2-PC-SET) Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier - Thermal Compound / Grease

The 212+ would not be terrible, it would be decent. I would expect you to max out at about 3.6Ghz. Hexacores can produce a lot of heat, so 3.8 may be pushing it. I would definitely get another fan with the 212+.

Just from speculation, the V6 appears to be the same height as the 212+.
You're clearance should be around 3.5CM, from the top of your CPU upwards.

Edit: Here is a video by Newegg demonstrating the AC thermal interface remover. It starts about 3:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VSDkB-3st4&feature=player_embedded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom