Small computer build

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
I'm talkin' cheap here, a desktop for my grandpa to replace his old "guest" computer.

The old desktop is a HP P4, can't remember model. Anyway, it's so slow that a reinstall of XP took ages. I just want to strip that thing to shreds.

There are two ways I can go about this.

I have a PSU, case, optical.

1. Use my old trusty ASUS P5E 775 board, get a new CPU, and other parts. Problem here is that I want at least a C2D or slightly under. Well, they are about $120.

2. I get a combo of AMD (AM3) Semperon 140 and Biostar motherboard. Total $79. Has onboard graphics. Get 2 x 1GB of DDR3 1066. I'll just use the stock h/s. Will be used for nothing more than web surfing, e-mail.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Let me know what you think ;)

I'm talkin' cheap here, a desktop for my grandpa to replace his old "guest" computer.

The old desktop is a HP P4, can't remember model. Anyway, it's so slow that a reinstall of XP took ages. I just want to strip that thing to shreds.

There are two ways I can go about this.

I have a PSU, case, optical.

1. Use my old trusty ASUS P5E 775 board, get a new CPU, and other parts. Problem here is that I want at least a C2D or slightly under. Well, they are about $120.

2. I get a combo of AMD (AM3) Semperon 140 and Biostar motherboard. Total $79. Has onboard graphics. Get 2 x 1GB of DDR3 1066. I'll just use the stock h/s. Will be used for nothing more than web surfing, e-mail.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Let me know what you think ;)

Newegg.com - Intel Celeron E3400 Wolfdale 2.6GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80571E3400

That would be a good choice if you re use the lga 775 board, it's a lot better than the Sepron and is just a 45nm Core 2 Duo with less cache.

What's a Sepron? :lol: j/k

Only problem is, that it doesn't have onboard video. But it shouldn't matter. I have some older video cards I can use. An x800 perhaps.

Wish I could get a e2140. That thing can overclock almost 100%!

What's a Sepron? :lol: j/k

Only problem is, that it doesn't have onboard video. But it shouldn't matter. I have some older video cards I can use. An x800 perhaps.

Wish I could get a e2140. That thing can overclock almost 100%!

My bad on the spelling, I used to have on so you'd think I would member the correct spelling for it.

Yeah, the lack of on board video is a downside but if you can reuse a card like that it might save you a little money.

I wouldn't be surprised if the e3400 could out overclock the e2140, most of the e2xx0 chips hit a wall at 3.2-3.3ghz that you couldn't get past without using excessive voltage for relatively small gains in speed. The e3400 on the other hand has a higher stock multiplier with the same low FSB and considering how mature Intel's 45nm process is at this point it should be a piece of cake to overclock.

OC won't be necissary. But if it is faster on stock, that would be better.

BTW, are those blueish (color blind) computer gloves just like the ones they use in hospitals, ambulances, etc? I hate scratching up my hands inside a case. :(
Found out, they were Nitrile gloves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom