slowing down pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

f_lightning2001

Baseband Member
My dad has a six year old computer that I really don't know the specs on it. He said that it does fine on some programs that he runs and the internet. However on other programs it slows way down. It normally takes him an hour to run his anti virus and now it takes about six hours. Best Buy had it for about two weeks and kept telling him it was one thing or another. Finally they told him it would benefit him to just get another computer. Just because they think it's the mobo going bad. Could a memory upgrade help this or do we just need to replace the mobo and upgrade the memory? Any help would be appreciated.

If it is six years old, it's probably time to upgrade. I think a good standard for most home PC's is 1 every 5 years. Some will last longer than that, but like yours, they tend to start going buggy, slow, and become near useless in some cases. Is there any particular reason you would rather stick with this older machine over buying a new one?

If you have an attachment to your computer, then yes you can check it for motherboard problems and what not. If Best Buy was right in the motherboard going bad (which... I wouldn't rely on them for the answer), then a new motherboard can just be put in.

Quite Honestly, a new computer would benefit you greatly. Replacement parts for outdated machines are much more expensive and make it worth it to buy the less expensive newer technology

Most likely meant a 3rd party application. IE: Sisoft Sandra, speedfan, stuff of that nature, although I don't know what on earth that application would be to tell you if your mobo's going bad or not.

lol, I meant if he had an attachment to his computer, like, *emotionally* Because it would be more worth it to buy a new one than to diagnose the real problem.

Sorry for that lol:)

LOL, I had no clue, I have done so much to my computer it's kinda hard to think of having an attachment to any of it, 4 mobos... 3 video cards... 3 CPUS... so yeah, I wasn't thinkin in that frame of mind. I think I have an attachment to my case though, all the variations of the PC have stayed in one case.

:) yeah, I didn't really word that too well. lol.

But yeah f_lightning. If you want to fix the issue it can be done... but it would be better to just replace the machine :)

Let us know what route you take and we'll help you fix it :)

Good luck

when was the last time you reformatted the computer, maybe its time to start fresh. I found an indicator for of your motherboard is going to die sort of. Back when I had my old Athlon 1800 a message popped up saying my hard drive was reporting failure and a few days later my mobo went kablewy. I don't know if there was a connection between the hdd and the mobo dying though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom