Slave Drive Performance? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Slave Drive Performance?

Hello,

I currently have a slave drive on a IDE, with my master being Sata.

First, do I lose performance with a slave drive? I am thinking of swapping out the IDE, and replacing it with a bigger (500 GB) SATA drive. Basically, I want this slave (second) drive to be used for games. I rather keep the main drive clean, and it is smaller.

Would I lose performance by using the second drive for games? Or best to stay on the master?

Thanks!

Keyoke

Old 03-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
ID.10T

Send a message via AIM to ohGrFreak Send a message via Yahoo to ohGrFreak
Default Re: Slave Drive Performance?

You may see a slight faster loading time with a SATA drive for large games, but otherwise no, not really a gain in performance.

Also, it sounds like your slave drive is on it's own channel, so there's absolutely no loss in performance there, I would keep the set up just like it is if your slave is big enough. If you need to upgrade for more space, sure, shoot for a SATA drive, but just don't upgrade purely for the sake of upgrading.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyoke View Post
Hello,

First, do I lose performance with a slave drive? I am thinking of swapping out the IDE, and replacing it with a bigger (500 GB) SATA drive. Basically, I want this slave (second) drive to be used for games. I rather keep the main drive clean, and it is smaller.

Would I lose performance by using the second drive for games? Or best to stay on the master?

Thanks!

Keyoke
Hold on a second here, you have me confused. I am assuming you have a CD/DVD drive as your IDE master and the other HDD drive as the slave on the same cable? If thats what you mean then yes, you will suffer a performance hit, BUT its really not by that much, but its noticeable if your slave drive has a small cache (8MB or less) and you already tried using your SATA drive to put your games on, you should be able to tell that its slower by how long it takes to install games and load games.

SATA is one drive per cable, and each one on a SATA connection is Master. So if you put the IDE HDD on the cable as Master, then your CD/DVD as slave then it will still be as fast as it has always been.

Or if you have 2 IDE headers on your board then you can put your CD/DVD as master on one and the HDD as master on the other. That way you can be sure you will get max performance from all your drives.

If that don't make sense just ask questions. Someone can explain it better than I can.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks.

You might be right, I'll have to pop the side off but I think the IDE Drive is a slave to the DVD Rom.. Never even occured to me till now that it is.

Really, what I want to use the slave drive for is just for games.. Load up times arent that big of a deal to me. Just, got all these older games (Last year or sooner) that I play once and awhile.

Thanks for the input.

Keyoke
Old 03-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to nastsystems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyoke View Post
Hello,

Thanks!

Keyoke

you should not use any profarmance from a slave drive! it should not make a differance. it should still keep the same proforamce! so if you were planing to use your slave drive for gaming and it is the one that is big enough then that would be the way to go! i would use the slave drive for gaming since it is bigger than the master! but really the only way to find out is to try! so i would try it and if ot does go slower or something then you could switch it to the master! but thats what i would do but that only me!
Closed Thread