Simple-ish MB question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fangs2000

In Runtime
Hey all,

Currently doing research for an extensive PC upgrade, and intend to go for a Conroe MB in august. My question is:

Would a MB built purly for "Allendale" type processors be able to support Intel Celeron D processors? Is this still a shady area or can someone say 100% Yes.

Reason i ask is because i kinda need a heavy upgrade (MB, GC, Proc, Mem, PSU and Case) for about £500-600, and if i could use a Intel D for a couple of months till more Conroe processors come out, seeing their going dirt cheap atm, and could get even cheaper over the next month.

Thanks

Hmm, been over a week since i posted and no answer?

I'm kinda working on my build now and really need to know the answer to this. Is there some problem with the question? i can re-write it if need be.

I dunno what allendale is, or Celeron D, but what sockets are the CPU's in question, what chipset does the motherboard have and I will try an figure this out for you.

hmm, sorry. I kinda riped the names from Wikipedia:

"Allendale is a codename for Conroe-Based processors with only 2MB of L2 Cache (Conroe is with 4MB of L2), the models of Allendale are: E4300 (1.8GHz, 800MHz FSB QDR), E6200 (1.6GHz, 1066MHz FSB QDR), E6300 (1.86GHz, 1066MHz FSB QDR) and E6400 (2.13GHz, 1066MHz FSB QDR)."

-Wikipedia

THat's where i read up on next-gen chips.

Celeron D is the cheap socket 775 chips available on Overclockers

They have the same socket number, but i understand that conroe-based processors need a different motherboard settings, just wondering if this would make it unable to use previous 775 chips.

I am confident it will work, it's just i want to be 100% before proceding, returns can be a messey buissness, especially if there's nothing wrong with it.

I haven't decided on what MB to have yet. Might be looking at a Asus or DFI, but i'll probably create a post at some point detailing my purchase plan so others can check for anything that won't work.

ok, thanks for the answers, i'll probably move in that direction and get a Conroe in a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom