A silent PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrax

Daemon Poster
I'll be building a very low budget PC soon, and looking to make it as silent as possible. Is there any fanless heatsinks out that are good? I know there are some fanless graphics cards, and am looking at getting one. I don't think my budget will allow for a fanless PSU though. Does the PSU make much noise? My PC makes noises from everywhere, so I dunno where all the sound comes from. Also, does the hard drive make much sound? The only thing I'm not concerned about making noise is the DVD drive, seeing as I definetely don't have the cash for a silent-ish DVD reader.

for the heatsink a decent heatsink fan (e.g TT Big Typhoon) is basically silent anyway. the Big Typhoon can pretty much run as a passive heatsink and the 120mm fan is very silent. the best passive heatsinks though would have to be those made by thermalright and scythe. if you get a psu like the antec truepower 2.0 which only has a single 120mm fan they are also fairly silent. for airflow try and pick a case with only 120mm fans. if the pc is not for gaming then there are many lowend video cards that come with passive heatsinks

I won't be using a Big Typhoon, specially since they cost like $100.

The motherboard I'm getting is a low-cost one, and it's only AGP. I think I might just ditch the silent aspect of it, and get a 9800 Pro. Is it true what people say about unlocking the pipes or something in it and making it into a 9800XT?

an average computer puts out about 30dB. just check the specs of watever you buy and make sure it's in the low and mid 20's, and you should be fine.
a fanless PSU isn't that great of an idea, I'd say.
As far as fan noise goes, the larger it is, the slower it has to spin to displace same amount of air, thus it makes it more silent. also, the more blades it's got, also decreases speed.
and you can always get a variable speed one.
here's one nice, quiet fan

I think I might just ditch the silent PC thing, might use it if I mod my PC sometime though.

One last question, is there anything wrong with using a Micro ATX motherboard? And a mATX mobo is compatible with an ATX case, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom