Side Cooling for GPU

Ornamexito

Baseband Member
Hello, i will soon upgrade to a new case, and i wanted to improve the cooling performance by using one of the case fans on the side panel, which will help to cool down my GPU.
But the problem is, i realized that the top of my GPU is blowing OUT air from the GPU Fan.
So the side panel fan will be blowing cold air into the GPU, which is trying to get rid of hot air in this place. Is this a bad thing to do? Should i remove that side panel fan?

All the better reason to stick with reference designed coolers, and why I only recommend them.

What case do you plan on getting? If there is sufficient exhaust, your better option would be to still have that fan blowing cool air onto the card so it has direct airflow and let the exhaust do its work with the expelled heat from the card.

Actually, I bojked up my plane of reference...
The side fan should still beable to blow air perfectly towards the upderside intake and not inhibit the exhaust.
Granted the exhaust will beblown onto the mobo, but I'd be willuing to bet that asus thought of that during thier design.

Right, i am getting a NZXT Lexa S Mid Tower, i guess it has good exhaust.. i mean there is one on the back and one on the top (with space for another one) and there is no place for an intake on the bottom. So for good airflow i would want the side fan for an intake BUT i can feel most of the air from the GPU fan (as if it was all of it) coming out from the top of the card.. :/

That's because of the design, it's supposed to do that. All fans on GPUs (minus a select few) blow down to cool the heatsink, and mostly all are blown out the back of the case. In the case of non-reference coolers, you usually have a big heatsink, with smaller heatsinks on the VRM and RAM, with 1 or 2 larger fans blowing down with a directed and designed shroud so the air doesn't get stuck in there. Mostly these are designed so the exhaust on the back of the case can directly dispel the heat. The problem is, although the GPU is cooler (usually), the heat usually winds up sticking in the case unless you have good flow or static pressure.

In your case, I would have front and side intake, top and back exhaust. This is the best solution to make sure everything stays cool.

Oh ok, so I should do it exactly how I wanted, but should I add another exhaust to the top? Or is that enough for good air flow?

No, because then you have stagnant air. If you have more exhaust you have fans trying to pull air from areas that otherwise block air, like the drive cage. If anything, you need a real nice 120 in the front to actually push that air through the cage. Not to mention the extra heat being dumped by your GPU and CPU needs more exhaust to properly tunnel out.

Back
Top Bottom