Should I upgrade to Nvidia Kepler 600 Series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arbegust

Solid State Member
I just finished my first self-built machine in December. Upon hearing of the advent of the new Nvidia Kepler 600 series I must admit to feeling a little disapointed. Should I upgrade from the brand new 350$ GTX 570 I bought six weeks ago? Even if I did wouldn't it be bottlenecked by my PCIe2 motherboard? I believe the cards are PCIe3. Anyone have any advice or words of consolation?

Consolation:
The 570 is still a great card that can handle anything you throw at it.
Current generation cards aren't even fully saturating PCIe 2.0 x16, so 3.0 cards should be working just fine in those slots for a while.

That being said, if you can sell your 570 for say $300 when Kepler drops, and prices are consistent with Tom's predictions, then I'd say snag a new one when they come.

if the gtx 570 can play anything you can throw at it with decent frame rates and the level of graphics desired, why upgrade?

Bottleneck on an Nvidia Kepler upgrade?

If I were to upgrade from my GTX 570 to a GTX 670 when it releases, would it botttleneck with my MSI PCIe2x16 motherboard? I've heard that PCIe2x16 hasn't reached saturation yet, but I am unsure. Here are my specs for further compatabilty reference. (For instance is a 750w PSU sufficent?) Thanks for any feedback!

Window 7 64bit
Intel i5 2500k
EVGA GTX 570
16 gig ddr3 RAM 1333 mhz
Corsair 750w PSU

Re: Bottleneck on an Nvidia Kepler upgrade?

We wont know for sure until it is released and has been tested for power consumption. I highly doubt that it would come close to being bottlenecked by your motherboard. AFAIK, we don't entirely saturate PCI-E x16 1.1 yet.
If you have PCI-E 2.0, you should be fine.

I have merged your two threads into one. Do not start multiple threads on the same topic.

I have also moved the merged thread to the proper forum. This is an upgrade and belongs in the Upgrades forum, not the New System one.

if the recent rumors hold true, you will need to upgrade to the GTX 670 to see a SIGNIFICANT improvement over your GTX 570.
View attachment 5120
View attachment 5119

that being said, once kepler is out, I expect your GTX 570 value to plummet to around $200 dollars.

Attachments

• NVIDIA2.jpg
    NVIDIA2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 139
  • NVIDIA1.jpg
    NVIDIA1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 140
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom