should i upgrade or not? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 08:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7
Default should i upgrade or not?

Hi everyone not too long ago i built a system with these specs....c2d 4400 2ghz, 2gig ram with sata drive and 8800 gts 320. Now i play games with it,i find it performs ok, but i was wandering if it would be better if i had a better cpu,if maybe im being held back a bit by it or if this system wouldnt benefit much from an upgrade(in regards to playing games that is)

deathrament is offline  
Old 04-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 605
Default Re: should i upgrade or not?

i think if you have the cash for it a new graphics card could be an idea?

Either the 8800GT( becoming pretty **** cheap now) or 9600GT( little cheaper then the 8800GT but i've heard the 8800GT can outperform it by more then 10%, though that's just me reading loads of forums and stuff, maybe not be accurate) or maybe the 8800GTS could be an idea( around £40-50 more then the 8800GT for around a 10% performance boost i think), 2 more gigs of ram couldn't hurt either and ram is so cheap these days. I doubt the processor is holding you back that badly, maybe ask for overclocking advice, i can't help you there. Still i think if new games are struggling defo the graphics card would be the best upgrade.

Joeyboy is offline  
Old 04-21-2008, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
TheOtis's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Planet Earth.
Posts: 1,274
Send a message via AIM to TheOtis
Default Re: should i upgrade or not?

C2D 4400?! What? You either missread the model number, or you're talking about an AMD 4400+?

Anyway, the 8800GTS 320MB G80 is defiently towards teh lower end of the spectrum. An 8800GT and 8800GTS 512MB G92 will perform mucho better. Both are great options.

I wouldn't recommend a 9600GT over both of those, but if you have an SLI capable motherboard and power supply, I would say go for 2x9600GT's. They'll perform a bit below a 9800GX2 for a lot less. But also better then an 8800GTX and 8800Ultra.
Back on being mobile - ASUS G551- 15.3" 1080p - Core i7 4710HQ - GTX 860M - 16GB DDR3 1600 - 512GB Samsung 850 Pro - Steam ID: TheOtis
TheOtis is offline  
Old 04-21-2008, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
veg1992's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: should i upgrade or not?

Theres a Core 2 Duo e4400 - Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 Allendale 2.0GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors

otherwise TheOtis is head on
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 04-21-2008, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7

ok thks for advise, and it is the c2d e4400..i though the 8800 320 was a good card when i bought it but i guess its not the greatest.

also if i got a better card would it require more power im using a budget model enermax 530w power supply fine with the 8800 i have now. What the heck do all the abreviations mean anyhow..gts,gt..what better.
deathrament is offline  
Old 04-22-2008, 09:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
Puddle Jumper's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,286
Default Re: should i upgrade or not?

Here is a list of the graphics cards recommended in order from best to worst.

2x 9600gt
8800gts 512mb
8800gt 512mb

Any single card on the list should not use more power than the one you already have.

You will also see an increase in performance if you overclock your cpu. If you do decide to overclock you will need good cooling. - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks


AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Puddle Jumper is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista Upgrade Issues aeroplane22 Microsoft Windows and Software 2 03-20-2008 07:45 PM
Forseeable price drops? My possible upgrade plan. Trepkos New Systems | Building and Buying 3 12-04-2007 01:21 AM
Medium computer upgrade. muman System Upgrades 6 09-14-2007 03:53 PM
Upgrade Advice for my system Cheeseking25 New Systems | Building and Buying 2 07-25-2007 01:28 PM
Vista activation problem Max Power Microsoft Windows and Software 11 07-12-2007 03:01 PM

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.