Should I upgrade or get a new comp altogether?

Status
Not open for further replies.

invisiblewall

Baseband Member
My current computer is a crappy Compaq one with 2.8GHZ, 512ram (forgot what type), an 80gb harddrive and crappy integrated graphics. I have the money to get a new video card (something like 6800GT with my budget) but my motherboard only has 2 PCI slots. Should I go through all the trouble of replacing my motherboard with a new one (probably will have to buy a new case too) and put in all the stuff or just buy a new computer and upgrade it?

2 sli slots? do you mean 2 pci slots these are generally white. don you know if you have an agp slot (generally brown or black) if you have an agp slot the 6600gt would be nice then you can save up to build a new system using the 6600gt.

hmmmm. if yopu had an agp slot i would say go for the 6600gt but now that you dont I am thinking you should just get a new mobo and case. I am guessing that your cpu is an intel since it has such a high clock speed, but is it a celeron or p4?

If he isnt going to be doing any crazy or good gaming than he could go with a FX5500 they come in PCI and there alright but I could set you up a budget pc that would utilize all the stuff you have right now and just upgrade your mobo,Cpu and ram and GFX
card.

Cpu:AMD 3200+ 939socket w/1ghz FSB $169

RAM:OCZ Enhanced Latency 512MB $55
Or 1gb:2x512mb OCZ Enhanced Latency dual channel $110

MOBO: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Socket 939 $120

HDD:you could use the same one

GFX card:6600gt 128mb $129

DVD drive:
maybe a dvd burner if dont have one, you could pick one up for around $50

Case: about no more than $100
optional or down the road:also antec PSU about 450watts would probaly over mark just for future upgrades.450watts is plenty!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom